Honestly this year has been pretty slow anime wise for me. I got a PS3 for Christmas and lets just say I've been very happy with said purchase. Final Fantasy XIII and XIII-2 have been my obsessions along with Dynasty Warriors Gundam I and II. I need to get III still but II has been keeping me quite busy even though I don't like it as much as I. How I don't have Dynasty Warriors 7 yet is a little mind baffling but all I can say is SOON.
Anyway enough about video games as that could easily fill a whole post and well I might just do that at a later date. I've honestly barely watched any anime this year series wise. I'm always in the mood for a one off ova or movie though so that's what this post is mostly about. I did finally watch Souten Kouro this year since subs were finally completed for it. It totally filled my RotK need for a while. Having the story revolve around Cao Cao was rather awesome and really makes me look forward to the last RotK title I have yet to watch, Koutetsu Sangokushi. I can only hope that one day the 2010 remake RotK series will be completely subbed. There's only so much enjoyment I can get from watching it raw after all.
The only other series I've completed so far that hasn't been currently airing was Galaxy Angel X and A. I watched Galaxy Angel and Z for my not so secret santa project so I figured I should complete the series. I still have to watch Galaxy Angel Rune though but I'll get around to it eventually. Rune apparently does things differently since X and A were pretty much the same as the first 2 series. I'm looking forward to Rune simply because it'll be a different take on the Galaxy Angel stuff which will be refreshing. It's a good series overall but nothing amazing either.
The fact that 3 big shounen series I watch and a lot of others as well, ended recently was a little strange. Beelzebub and Bleach sure I can live without airing anymore. I liked both shows alright but I won't miss watching them every week either. Gintama though... We just got it back and they take it away from us again! I'll look forward to when it comes back because I have faith that it certainly will. I'll at least look forward to more movies~
I've started watching Toriko again because my boyfriend was driving me nuts asking when we were going to watch more. Since I planned on blogging this (and I still do I swear) I didn't want to watch any of the episodes because then the chances of me blogging earlier episodes really start to disappear if I watch ahead of where I left off blogging. I gotta say I completely love this series. It shows a great love for food which I certainly share and I bet most people can relate to as well. I love food eating reactions! Toriko does this very well honestly and makes me remember just how awesome Yakitate!! Japan was when it came to food reactions too. I'm not 100% caught up with the series yet but I'm currently on episode 33 and plan to be caught up fully in the next few days.
- Sora no Otoshimono - This was a great recap movie. Everything about it made me smile and laugh. I can't wait for Season 3 to air.
- Suite Precure - Suite is my favourite Pretty Cure title to date so it should be no surprise that the Suite Movie has become my favourite Pretty Cure movie. But then again all the Pretty Cure movies are pretty great in their own ways.
- Fullmetal Alchemist: The Sacred Star of Milos - I don't know why people were expecting super duper amazing plot and such with this movie. After all it was just a one off random story. I went in expecting awesome shounen action and that is exactly what I received and enjoyed a great deal.
- Recollections of a Certain Pilot - This movie doesn't really do anything new or amazing but I'm a sucker for planes in anime~
- Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kira - I don't even know why I watch these Higurashi ova's anymore... Guess I just love the series that much.
- Steins;Gate - This ova was so darn cute by the end because the very end is what made it so awesome. I'm looking forward to that movie they'll be doing.
- Fantascope Tylostoma -
- Hotarubi no Mori e - A lovely short ova about a girl falling in love with a spirit. It's a little sad but oh so lovely at the same time.
- Gyo - GASHUNK! It was a great ova of a great anime. I know a lot of people were disappointed with it but I honestly can't figure out why. It did everything perfectly!
- Nakedyouth - I've actually watched this a few years ago but it floated up on my radar again and made me remember just how lovely a one off 10 minute work can be. Almost anything that explores youth and sexuality is always a treat to watch.
I've actually not watched a lot that finished airing during the winter season. I plan on watching them all but with it looking quite meh according to my tastes I decided I would skip watching it while it currently aired and wait till they were finished. I did watch a few I knew I would enjoy or that just happened to be Season continuations of shows I have already seen all of. I tried watching Another and Mouretsu Pirates while they aired/airing but sadly Mouretsu Pirates just didn't do it for me in the 3 episodes I sat though and just made me angry. Another is a horror anime so those are generally best marathoned instead of watching one episode a week. I do plan on watching both still along with everything but these are my priority anime from winter that have finished: Another, Black Rock Shooter, Nisemonogatari, Senki Zesshou Symphogear, and Rinne no Lagrange. If there's one you think I'm missing that I should get to asap leave a comment and I'll consider.
- Brave10 - I love these kind of anime. You know the ones with pretty boys and girls whooping each others asses... Yeah those... <3
- Daily Lives of High School Boys - HILARIOUS~
- Thermae Romae - HILARIOUS~
- Zero no Tsukaima 4 - I'm sure an ova will pop up for this at some point. But it's good to have it finished for fans.
- Recorder to Randoseru - a short episode series about a small girl who is in high school and her large brother that is in grade school. I've oddly enjoyed this series and an oddly glad that it is continuing into the spring season.
- Gokujo - another short episode series. This one is about girls being dirty and gross. Very pervy too. It's charming in it's own strange way.
- NatsumeYuujinchou Shi - Season 5 where?! <3
- Tantei Opera Milky Holmes 2 - meh
- Poyopoyo Kansatsu Nikki - still airing!!! ROUND CAT IS ROUND~
So far I've only watched one SPRING 2012 anime. That being Space Brothers of course. It was the #1 anime I was looking forward to and it certainly didn't disappoint me which was delightful. I might try blogging it but well we all know how terrible I am with keeping up to date with those. 😛
Moving along to my second anime things have picked up greatly for me from the first one enjoyment wise. My Not so Secret Santa Project gives me Galaxy Angel next! Chosen by the other half of Reverse Thieves, Hisui. This turns out much better than the anime their secret santa gave me! I'm going to do these Galaxy Angel posts in 3 parts because there's a lot of Galaxy Angel stuff out there. I won't publish the other parts till sometime after the 25th though. This one includes Galaxy Angel & Galaxy Angel Z.
Galaxy Angel's "plot" is simple. 5 girls called the "Galaxy Angels" are to search for Lost Technology that their Government wishes to have. Each episode is generally pretty random and full of laughs. These Lost items can range from everyday objects to robots and beyond! There is no telling what these girls will get mixed up into next!
I got to sit through some lovely 10 minute episodic episodes. I feel like the OP and ED just seem to get in my way of the next episode. I don't hate them but I do find it annoying that they seem to go on forever even though they don't. Z did this much better by putting 2 episodes into one so I only had to sit through the OP and ED once like normal anime episodes. There isn't much difference between the 2 seasons other than the number of episodes and even that isn't a huge issue. Being an episodic show there is always going to be some hit or miss episodes to sit through. Luckily I enjoyed all of the characters so when there was an off episode it wasn't all that bad to sit through.
I love food so the fact that there was always a cooking theme to the episode titles and well the girls names was quite awesome. The show doesn't always look amazing but I was generally too busy paying attention to what was going on than caring what everything looked like. I did like how there always seemed to be appropriate music/sound effects throughout the episodes. There's nothing more annoying than having something not sound right to me and when the shows main focus is to make people laugh this is very important to me. All the main girls were super fun and even the side characters that we are suppose to forget about instantly leave some sort of impression.
Milfeulle has cute pink hair and loves to cook. In season 1 they played up her lucky side quite often. She is incredibly ditsy which leads to some painful scenes now and then but overall she's a super fun character. Her constant thinking about food amused me greatly.
Ranpha has lovely long blond hair and huge boobs. She's the most energetic of the bunch and constantly questions everything. Generally her mouthy bitchy side comes out when she's really irritated, so like every episode. On more than one occasion she was made out to be a rich man chaser which was quite entertaining. She has these really strange hair clips that look like some kind of space probe which I find super cute.
Vanilla has pale green hair and bright red eyes. She is small and very quiet which makes her out to be very robotic. She reminds me a lot of Ruri Hoshino actually.
Mint has blue hair and bunny ears that she likes to wear. She is very little and polite but can come off as snobbish due to her coming from a rich family. She seems to be very intelligent and has gotten the girls out of a mess numerous times. One thing about her that I love is that she liked to dress up in costumes. She hides this from the others but we get to see that hilariously awesome side of her. In Z there was an episode were she was in a dinosaur suit and she became a star because of it. Easily my favourite episode of the 2 series right there.
Forte has long long long red hair, wears a monocle and a pretty cool hat. She's obsessed with guns and has enormous boobies. I'd consider her to be the leader of the girls even though she doesn't really take on that roll officially. She is the oldest so it doesn't really surprise me that the other girls would look up to her in that kind of way. One thing that weirds me out about her is her voice. She sounds like a dude and for a while I thought that she actually was...
Overall Galaxy Angel is a great show to just sit back and watch. You don't need to think about what you are watching at all and it'll generally get a chuckle or 2 out of you per episode. They had a few "serious" episodes that they threw in 2-3 times but overall it is just a mindless fun comedy. I've heard interesting things about the video game and considering how much I actually enjoyed the anime I might just go out and find it to play.
* Story 6/10
* Animation 6/10
* Sound 8/10
* Characters 8/10
* Overall 6/10