On the First Day of Christmas My True Love Gave to Me,
Legend of the Galactic Heroes Keychains
I really hope they make more of these with more characters. I'd love me some Frederica and Annerose!
On the Fifth Day of Christmas My True Love Gave to Me,
(Twenty)Five Years of Final Fantasy,
Four Video Game Feels,
Three Idol Shows,
Two Amazing Cartoons,
and The Best Boots in All of Anime
Exactly 25 years ago TODAY the very first Final Fantasy game came out in Japan. To celebrate the boyfriend and I went to the Distant Worlds concert in Montreal earlier this month. It was the first time the group actually made it to Montreal so we couldn't pass it up. Especially since Nobuo Uematsu was going to be there as well! We saw him at Anime Boston and were blown away so our bodies were ready for more.
I plan on making some in depth Final Fantasy posts eventually so for now I'll just leave you a very rough list of my Final Fantasy favourites. All of these I've seen all the way through to the end but might not have played them all myself. The bf and I play them together and sometimes he's in control more than I am but we're always together for story progress.
- Final Fantasy VI
- Final Fantasy IV (almost finished)
- Final Fantasy XIII
- Final Fantasy X
- Final Fantasy VIII
- Final Fantasy XIII-2
- Final Fantasy III (almost finished)
- Final Fantasy V
- Final Fantasy I
- Final Fantasy II
Games I haven't "played" yet:
- Final Fantasy VII (currently trying to struggle through...)
- Final Fantasy IX
- Final Fantasy X-2
- Final Fantasy XII
- Final Fantasy XI (Online gameplay)
- Final Fantasy XIV (Online gameplay)
And because why not add a bunch more memorable moments in a shout out anniversary post! Here's some anime moments and some bloggy ones too.
More fun ages (that I care about anyway)
Macross turned a whooping 30 years old this year. I didn't celebrate as much as I would have liked but I'll just look forward to watching that FB7 special they put out not that long ago.
The epic Legend of the Galactic Heroes novel started 30 years ago. One of these days I'll have a chance to read it I'm sure.
Space Adventure Cobra which I finally watched this year turns 30 too! Amazing show that they need to make more of!
Full Metal Panic and Chobits turn 10... Feels like yesterday still...
Fun note: The Astro Boy anime will be turning 50 freaking years old next year. So that's basically 50 years ago that anime really started to get noticed around the world! There's a fun project in the works that a bunch of peeps are doing. I'm going to be doing my own thing over here because I didn't find out about that project till it was too late but that's ok cause I had already been planning my own thing since October so look forward to it!
Blogging Buddy memories
2DT shut down in January a week after my Birthday... Still stalkable on twitter though!
There's of course more memories but I didn't write them all down because these are the ones I can remember off the top of my head while writing this post today. <3
The time has come yet again for an anime milestone according to my Anime-Planet profile. Soon I will be reaching 3000 total watched. And by soon I mean as soon as I get off my ass and marathon the last LotgH ova I have to watch being, Legend of the Galactic Heroes: A Hundred Billion Stars, A Hundred Billion Lights. I WILL SIT DOWN AND MARATHON THIS BEFORE THE WEEKEND! I can't wait to finally have watched everything from my favourite anime of all time! I made Legend of the Galactic Heroes: Spiral Labyrinth my 2000th anime a year and a bit ago... Thinking that I've watched 1000 anime since then is mind boggling but when anime sites insist on listing shorts, music videos, picture dramas, and other silly stuff that probably shouldn't have a single entry there's not much I can do! I guess I could not mark them as watched but well if the option is there take it!
Looking at the VERY incomplete list I made of all these things I feel don't need their own entries it's clear that a lot of stuff gets added for the sake of "completion". There are other reasons why these kind of things started to get added to AP but I won't get into that right now... All I gotta say it it's kinda stupid and it makes it look like I've watched a whole lot more than I really have. But to be fair I suppose a lot of the "shorts" I have on my list are worthy of being there. Either way it's still like I've completed 2000 anime with a whole lot of extras! Someday I'll make more lists to see just what the exact number would be if I don't include stuff I don't think should bother counting. Not that anyone but me cares about such a thing.
All in all maybe I'm just trying to justify all the time I've spent watching anime to not make myself feel as strange about reaching such a number... YAY? Onto some other fun stuff now~
- Fresh Pretty Cure - Confirmed that is my second least favourite Pretty Cure. Nothing can honestly top the hatred I have for Splash... I still have to watch Yes but from what I've seen of it so far it can't top the dislike I have for Fresh!
- Yoiko - This is basically porn for people who like little girls but wish they had a mature body so it doesn't "look" bad. It's basically like Recorder to Randoseru but WAY more perverted since you get to see "little" girl boobs EVERY EPISODE!
- Space Adventure Cobra - Why can't we have shows like this anymore? I still have to watch the 2010 version but I'm positive it won't disappoint me. Cobra has become one of my favourite anime ever because it has so much I completely love. Especially since the SPACE isn't a lie from the title! Cobra himself is one awesome dude that has tonnes of sexy bitches surrounding him! So awesome!
- Mainichi Kaasan - I'm still not finished this show. It's got 142 episodes and I'm only halfway through still. But I gotta say its found its way into my heart. There's absolutely nothing special about it. It's about a mom who writes manga and has 2 kids. We go through their daily life and that's it! Some episodes can be boring but in each episode there's short stories so it doesn't take long for something new to come along if one of the segments is lame. My favourite thing about the show are these spirits that visit the mom giving her "tips" on parenting. They have an awesome song that gets stuck in my head for hours when they appear too! XD
MOVIES & OVA's
- Lupin III - Specials 16-23 (minus the Detective Conan crossover since I already watched that one a while ago) were watched. So happy I've now seen them all. I made a list of them all favourite to least. I didn't hate sitting through any of them though which is a very good thing. The newest one being, Special 23: Blood Seal - The Eternal Mermaid, ended up being my favourite. It just has so much awesomeness that makes Lupin Lupin to me, I enjoyed it throughly.
- Mardock Scramble - Finally got around to this first movie. It's interesting I'll give it that much. It really reminds me of an updated version of Kite but with the futuristic setting from Ghost in the Shell.
- A shit load of Shorts - I'm a huge fan of shorts like I said above. I watched a lot of them over the last little while but I'm sad to say that none really stood out except for THIS!
Still going strong watching everything at this point. I'm ready for a few of the series to be over and done with but here's a small highlight on what I'm really enjoying right now that you don't already know about.
- Mysterious Girlfriend X - This started off with a 8/10 score. It since has jumped to a perfect 10. I've enjoyed every single episode so much and it's quickly turning into one of my favourite romantic comedies!
- Ginga e Kickoff - I don't understand how this kiddy show is SO FREAKING GOOD. It has no right to be but here we are. It's honestly way better than the other soccer anime airing along side it. More people need to watch this awesome show.
- Fairy Tail - I've finally caught up with like 20 episodes or whatever I had stalk piled. I won't spew a bunch of stuff about it here but I gotta say that I love time skips!
- Kingdom - This show I didn't expect anyone to pick it up to sub. These kind of Chinese stories tend to get no love but to my surprise 2 groups (as far as I know) have picked it up. I was so happy when I discovered this. The first episode was a long one at 50 minutes and it ended on a great cliffhanger that has me BEGGING for more. I'm going to look forward to this show each and every week, or whenever episodes happen to get subbed of it! My only issue with it is that some weird CG kicks in now and then and takes the flow away from what's going on but I'll forgive it for that!
After an insane spring of watching every anime airing I've decided to do what I did with winter and not watch everything while it airs this summer and marathon them after they are finished. I'm just going to watch S2's of shows and I have made an exception for 2 new shows. The other noitaminA show Natsuyuki Rendezvous (lol spooky flowers) and the oh so awesome Oda Nobuna no Yabou (lol more Oda Nobunaga silliness I can't resist!)
List of season 2's+: Hakuouki (WHY... But... Bishies...) Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere (I'm probably the only one SUPER pumped for the conclusion) Dog Days (I'm not sure why there's a S2 of this but S1 was fun enough. Dog girls is a nice change from cat girls!) Moyashimon (We'll brew YOU!) Rinne no Lagrange (I still have to watch S1 from winter! But I'll be doing that in time for S2 to start airing for sure) Yuru Yuri (Yay girls~)
On the Twelfth Day of Christmas My True Love Gave to Me,
Twelve More Awesome Anime Memories,
Eleven Season 2's,
Ten Long Anime,
Nine Delicious Openings & Endings,
Eight Digiboy Top Anime,
Seven Franchise Continuations,
Six Top Tier Anime,
Five Nyanpire Kitties,
Four Marvel Anime,
Two Anime Buddy Challenges,
and an Underrated Anime
What I'm going to do here is just leave a picture. If you don't get it.... Watch the show to find out! Thanks for reading these everyone. It's been super fun. Happy Holidays and all that jazz!
Toriko x One Piece
Toward the Terra
Legend of the Galactic Heroes: Spiral Labyrinth
Last Exile: Fam
Macross Frontier: Sayonara no Tsubasa
Kore wa Zombie desu ka
No manly tears here unlike glothelegend's list. Or so he claims that they were MANLY tears. I personally think they were "Little Girl" tears like mine. I'm generally not one for crying over anime and all but the following 7 anime out of my to this date 2,442 watched anime list, have made me shed plenty of salty water from my eyes. Some just trickled out one at a time slowly, some streamed out fast but ended quickly, some poured out like they would never stop. Actually only one series seriously made me cry non-stop for a good 30 minutes.
Ordered from first anime to the last anime that have made me bawl:
- Grave of the Fireflies
- Wolf's Rain
- Legend of the Galactic Heroes
- Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Second Season
- Toward the Terra TV
Read below at your own risk since there be spoilers.
Now looking at my list I see 1 typical sad anime that everyone cries at. Or at least I see it mentioned all the time in "What anime has made you cry" discussions. That of course is Grave of the Fireflies. I was really young when I saw it so I really don't remember if I cried all the way through or at certain points. I don't think I'm willing to re-watch it to find out exactly what made me cry either. War based movies IRL always get to me so it was really no surprise that the first anime I cried at was surrounded by war, sorrow, and hardships. Oseam almost falls into this same category but there was no war in it. Just pure melancholy sadness all the way through. If I had to pick the saddest anime ever for someone and didn't want it to sound cliche, I'd pick Oseam hands down. Brothers and sisters sure have it tough in these 2 movies.
Wolf's Rain certainly made me cry but it wasn't because of the actual show that tears came out. I'd like to consider myself a pretty big animal lover. So at the end of Wolf's Rain when all the wolves were "laying" down. I just cried quietly while I was on the couch. Thoughts of my past pets that have passed away poured into my mind and with what I was viewing it was only natural to cry and remember. There is almost nothing sadder than loosing a loved one especially if that loved one is a pet. They become part of your family and there's just an emptiness left when they leave.
If you haven't stopped reading yet I'm VERY serious that there are HUGE spoilers below.
Character deaths always hit me pretty hard. Especially when I get attached to them. Most of the time I can see it coming like I did in Season 2 of Gundam 00. That's the one anime that made me really angry that I cried at because I knew my favourite character Sergei Smirnov was going to die since S1. I didn't want it to be true I guess but well S2 did everything possible to make me rage cry over his death. I'm just glad I was alone in the room at that moment because it probably would have looked a little silly seeing my reactions to the episode. Scryed for being a super excitable shounen series it certainly pulled the rug out from under my feet when Kimishima passed away as Kazuma carried his injured friend. The crying little girl didn't help make his death any easier. It's always really hard to watch a death happen but it's even harder to keep watching and see the reactions of those that cared about the character. That's when my tears generally start to flow.
Space Opera's have got to be the best genre ever created. Weather it be real life ones like Babylon 5 (totally obsessed with) or anime ones, I become engrossed with the worlds and just gobble it all up like there's no tomorrow. Toward the Terra is the last anime space opera I have sat through and the last anime that has made me shed tears. It wasn't a lot of tears but the way they ended the series with pretty much EVERYONE I loved and cared dearly about in the series dead I just felt soul crushed. All through watching the series I was tangled with tears but none fell until the last episode. While I certainly did love Jomy and Keith a lot, Harley is the death that bothered me the most. He was just a secondary character that was the captain of the Mu's ship and all but I fell in love with his character. He was bold, charismatic, and knew when to take the backseat when it came to leadership. He was always there for Jomy when he needed to bounce ideas off of and always there to be a voice of reason when Jomy spiraled into self doubt. The series certainly wouldn't have been as awesome as it was without the amount of amazing secondary characters surrounding Jomy and Keith's epic battle.
Legend of the Galactic Heroes is not only my favourite anime ever but it also holds the title for me crying for at least 30 minutes over it. I had thought of the possibility of Yang Wen-li dying much earlier on in the series but that thought got put onto the back shelf in my mind as I became obsessed with the show upon viewing. When it happened my heart sank. I felt like the world was ending and I had just lost the man of my dreams with it. What made it even worse is how Julian reacted. What doubled that worse feeling is Frederica finding out. Hell even Reinhard getting message of Yang's passing was traumatic. Remember when I said that seeing how people react to a death is worse than actually seeing it? Legend of the Galactic Heroes takes the cake with death reactions for me.
So there you have it. I'm not completely heartless! Which anime has made you cry?
P.S. Anyone who says Clannad After Story shall be subjected to my laughter. ^__^