Like every year Spring gave us more anime we knew what to do with! Unlike winter I actually watched everything as it aired. Save for those kiddy shows that I'm not following being Bakugan, Inazuma Eleven, Jewelpet, and Metal Fight Beyblade. Saint Seiya had another season but since I haven't seen any of that franchise to begin with that wasn't watched either. A season 2 of Pretty Rhythm aired but since season 1 isn't even finished being subbed that wasn't watched. When subs appear I'll watch it for sure since I'm enjoying season 1 of it alright.
Some short anime called Koi-ken aired but I haven't even seen raws for this appear. I'm ok with that since it apparently is based on a popular dating sim which I'm so not all about. Space Battleship Yamato 2199 looks interesting but I'd prefer to watch the first stuff for that before jumping into something new. Ozma I didn't watch because I want to do some fun stuff with the Leijiverse stuff eventually.
There was actually very few shows that I didn't enjoy watching this time around. The amount of great shows to choose from was just that good! Even the shitty shows had a few good things to offer so I can't complain about them too much either. I still wish more people would watch Gon...
Best Show of spring is SO hard to choose but I'm going to go with Space Brothers for sure. Honestly if it wasn't for that cat anime I'm blogging it surely would have been #1 of 2012! SPACE!!! Polar Bear Cafe is a super close second for spring too.
Worst Show of spring is Natsuiro Kiseki because while it had an interesting enough idea, cute girls doing stuff just doesn't do it for me in a drama setting.
Here's my big list of Best to Worst shows of spring 2012:
- Space Brothers / Uchuu Kyoudai (still airing) 10/10
- Polar Bear Cafe / Shirokuma Cafe (still airing) 10/10
- Mysterious Girlfriend X / Nazo no Kanojo X 10/10
- Fate/Zero 2 10/10
- Gon (still airing) 10/10
- Jormungand 9/10
- Tsuritama 8/10
- Kimi to Boku 2 8/10
- Sakamichi no Apollon / Kids on the Slope 8/10
- Folktales from Japan (still airing) 8/10
- Ginga e Kickoff!! (still airing) 8/10
- Sengoku Collection 8/10
- Zetman 8/10
- Phi Brain: Kami no Puzzle 2 7/10
- Acchi Kocchi 7/10
- Queen's Blade: Rebellion 7/10
- Accel World 7/10
- Eureka Seven Ao 7/10
- Gakkatsu! 7/10
- Kuroko's Basketball 7/10
- Kore wa Zombie desu ka? 7/10
- Haiyore! Nyaruko-san 7/10
- Arashi no Yoru ni 7/10
- Recorder to Randoseru 2 7/10
- Sankarea 6/10
- Lupin III ~Mine Fujiko to Iu Onna~ 6/10
- Saki 2 6/10
- Dusk Maiden of Amnesia / Tasogare Otome x Amnesia 6/10
- Hiiro no Kakera 6/10
- AKB0048 5/10
- Medaka Box 5/10
- Cardfight!! Vanguard 2 5/10
- Shining Hearts: Shiawase no Pan 5/10
- Upotte!! 5/10
- Kuromajo-san ga Tooru!! 5/10
- Yurumates 3D 4/10
- Hyou-ka: You Can't Escape 3/10
- Rock Lee no Seishun Full-Power Ninden (still airing) 3/10
- Shiba Inuko-san 3/10
- Natsuiro Kiseki 2/10
Surprise enjoyment: Ginga e Kickoff!! is a children's soccer show that should be watched by everyone! Mysterious Girlfriend X is a romance anime that I had no hopes for going in but ended up being one of the best romantic anime I've ever seen. Acchi Kocchi had great winter episodes which surprised me.
Surprise fail: Medaka Box ended up being quite lacking... I'll have more to say about it in the fall review.
Honorable mentions: Arashi no Yoru ni I'd like to see more of honestly. Lupin III ~Mine Fujiko to Iu Onna BOOBS! AKB0048 is fun but still lacking in awesomeness for me but at least there's a lot of SPACE! Shining Hearts has one of the most hilarious ED's ever! Eureka Seven Ao is finished finished now right?
On the Ninth Day of Christmas My True Love Gave to Me,
Nine Let Downs,
Eight Food Shots,
Seven Pretty Cure Titles,
Six Underrated Shows,
(Twenty)Five Years of Final Fantasy,
Four Video Game Feels,
Three Idol Shows,
Two Amazing Cartoons,
and The Best Boots in All of Anime
I generally don't like getting my hopes up for shows actually being good but I stupidly did so for the following... Ordered by how much my hopes were crushed.
I wanted ass kicking lady Pirates yarring around SPACE... I fucking got school girls in SPACE pretend playing pirates...
Yet another one of those stupid shoujo reverse harem kickass shows that fucking failed miserably despite having a great idea going on.
Lupin III Fujiko Blaa Blaa
Talk about sucking the fun lightheartedness out of Lupin. Not a fan of "serious" Lupin at all.
I had no real idea what to expect going into this. It made me feel really awkward at times when watching it which is awesome but in the end things just really went no where. Very disappointing. Zombie's have never been so cute before.
Dusk Maiden of Amnesia
Urg I dunno what I was expecting with this one... Ghosts are pretty cool generally. But the end did kinda rock. So I guess sitting through some boring paid off.
Koi to Senkyo to Chocolate
For an anime about a food club this show didn't focus nearly enough on delicious treats as it should have!
Kill Me Baby
This show should have been funny as hell but instead I got annoying as fuck.
Ok now we get into the shows that I actually enjoyed enough but just wish they were slightly better. Zetman had it all going on... It just needed more episodes to execute it properly I think.
Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse
Mixed bag of feelings with this one honestly. I fucking love it to bits and really have it rated highly. But in the end it just fell flat and left me wanting more of the awesomeness it was instead of what awesomeness it turned out to be. These aliens are fucking awesome though! Mecha too!!
Its been a busy summer for me life life wise and anime wise too I guess even though I feel like I barely watched anything even though the list below tells me otherwise... With summer ending things always calm down a lot around here so I start to "focus more" on the blog. I started planning my December posting schedule because that's always a busy month with 12 moments and various secret santa's. I'm looking forward to it a lot this year actually for some reason. Maybe because it actually makes me feel like I'm part of the aniblogsphere all over again or something. Oh shit that reminds me that my 3 year blogavasary is coming up... Anyway I put up a new poll a few weeks ago wondering what anime projects my readers are wanting to see more of. I'm proud to say I'm almost caught up with Poyo episodic postings which I didn't include on the poll because I'm doing that whether people like it or not! I hope to be caught up by the end of next week on them actually. Not that anyone particularly cares about these posts other than me and a select few of my readers, you know who you are <3. Anyway the poll tells me to start doing more Cooking with Oishii Anime posts. Which I'm happy to say I put one out last week and I'm in the progress of doing 2 more very soon so look forward to those.
I've started thinking about posting more about not so anime things on here too but I'm not so sure if want to do that on this blog or if I should be creating a new chii blog of sorts for all my non anime stuff. Because yes believe it or not I don't spend EVERY waking moment watching anime even though I'm sure most of you would still beg to differ. This idea came to mind when I did that 5 questions and answers thing. People have suggested that maybe I should just get a Tumblr for these things but that feels gross and lazy (even though lazy is rather perfect for me) to me for some reason. I also find that the majority of Tumblr's are a real pain in the ass to navigate and that's why I barely follow anyone on Tumblr. Anyway yeah this is still thinking in progress but I think it'll be great old fun since I have a boatload of ideas and strange shit just floating around in my head already why not make a blog about it! Anywho onto anime because that's what matters on this here bloggy!
- Cobra 2010 - I'm sad that I have no more Cobra to look forward to... Such a great series. It's everything I love about super sci-fi adventures.
- Ergo Proxy - I don't love it, I don't hate it. It lies somewhere in the middle the same way I feel about a few other shows that had a lot of great moments but too many issues for me at the same time. I'll probably never be able to say which side I lean towards with them but somehow I think this is positive.
- Fairy Musketeers Akazukin - If you liked Princess Tutu but wanted a more girly version of it this is a perfect fit.
- Kurogane Communication - Hidden treasure even if the ending is a little strange. You should watch it.
- Zaizen Jotaro - "Da Bomb" ...
- Okusama wa Mahou Shoujo - I think I'm going to muster up the strength to write a full on review of this show sometime. There is a lot to be said about it's great idea but poor execution.
- Panzer World Galient - So one morning during the summer after a night of hefty drinking and everyone else around me wandered off to sleep I was left wide awake. So I asked twitter what show I should watch RIGHT THAT INSTANT. They choose this and I gotta say it was one of the best old fantasy mecha anime I'd ever seen. Such great fun! Great OP too XD
- Android Ana MAICO 2010 - So 90s.
- Shouwa Monogatari - So glad this finally got subbed all the way through... Now if only Hyouge Mono would get finished up...
- Fist of the North Star - I finally started this because one of our friends that stayed for a week and a half wanted to watch the movie. But I was like screw that I have something better than that movie and we managed to get through 25 episodes or so always while eating. I still plan on blogging this for sure! I also just got the ps3 video game Ken's Rage too which so far has been a hoot!
- Lupin III S2 - I feel like I've been watching Lupin forever at this point. And honestly I have... I know it's been about 2 years since I started the series but it's slowly coming to an end with just under 80 episodes left to watch of the entire franchise.
- Yes Pretty Cure - I'm almost done S1 and I've been absolutely LOVING every moment of it. I think it might end up being my #2 favourite pretty cure series behind Suite but I'll wait till I finish it all off before claiming that to be 100% true.
MOVIES & OVA's
- The Glass Rabbit - Another WWII story.
- Starship Troopers: Invasion - Everything I wanted it to be and more!
- Hells - Landon says it best. (we're probably the only 2 people to have watched this movie...)
- Dragon Age - Suddenly I don't want to try playing the game anymore even though I own it...
- Elysium - I knew this was going to be terrible but I had been waiting YEARS to watch the terribleness!
- Happy Birthday Inochi Kagayaku Toki - Don't bully!
- 5-tou ni Naritai - Even if you have a disability you should still try to make the most out of life. Impending Diary post coming.
- Pattenrai - Really nice historical flick about bringing water to Taiwan.
- Towa no Quon - I'm not sure why more people haven't been talking about this one honestly. Then again I think I hold these movie series compilations on a higher pedestal than everyone else. It was everything I wanted and more honestly from an hour long 6 movie series. Had a few flaws towards the end and in the middle but I signed up for a good time and boy oh boy that's what I got. Give me special people with super powers doing awesome things ANYDAY!
I'll leave the mass sum up of summer for later so I'll just say a word or 2 about what stood out to me here. I marathoned the majority of these shows at the end of summer. Some still have one episode to go still but that's ok. The only 2 I haven't started yet is Campione and Kokoro Connect... For some reason I just can't bring myself to watch them... Campione I could care less about either way honestly but Kokoro Connect I'm dreading with all my bones. I can't explain why, I just am... Muv-Luv and Sword Art Online are continuing on into the fall and I'm happy about this. These are 2 shows that almost everyone likes to complain about but I'm happier than a fat kid with cake watching and enjoying these 2 greatly. Horizon is another one people love to hate on but not me! Horizon is so gooood~ Binbougami ga and Joshiraku I expected not to like but I actually REALLY like them a lot. Summer seems to have set me up for a lot of good comedy shows for some reason, not that I'm complaining. And I'll throw in that Tari Tari was not as dreadful as I thought it was going to be. The beginning epsiodes were lame as hell but the end ones completely saved it. So yeah I'll leave blabbering on about the whole summer season for my big wrap up in December.
Here's to looking forward to another season worth of anime. Wooo Fall.
The time has come yet again for an anime milestone according to my Anime-Planet profile. Soon I will be reaching 3000 total watched. And by soon I mean as soon as I get off my ass and marathon the last LotgH ova I have to watch being, Legend of the Galactic Heroes: A Hundred Billion Stars, A Hundred Billion Lights. I WILL SIT DOWN AND MARATHON THIS BEFORE THE WEEKEND! I can't wait to finally have watched everything from my favourite anime of all time! I made Legend of the Galactic Heroes: Spiral Labyrinth my 2000th anime a year and a bit ago... Thinking that I've watched 1000 anime since then is mind boggling but when anime sites insist on listing shorts, music videos, picture dramas, and other silly stuff that probably shouldn't have a single entry there's not much I can do! I guess I could not mark them as watched but well if the option is there take it!
Looking at the VERY incomplete list I made of all these things I feel don't need their own entries it's clear that a lot of stuff gets added for the sake of "completion". There are other reasons why these kind of things started to get added to AP but I won't get into that right now... All I gotta say it it's kinda stupid and it makes it look like I've watched a whole lot more than I really have. But to be fair I suppose a lot of the "shorts" I have on my list are worthy of being there. Either way it's still like I've completed 2000 anime with a whole lot of extras! Someday I'll make more lists to see just what the exact number would be if I don't include stuff I don't think should bother counting. Not that anyone but me cares about such a thing.
All in all maybe I'm just trying to justify all the time I've spent watching anime to not make myself feel as strange about reaching such a number... YAY? Onto some other fun stuff now~
- Fresh Pretty Cure - Confirmed that is my second least favourite Pretty Cure. Nothing can honestly top the hatred I have for Splash... I still have to watch Yes but from what I've seen of it so far it can't top the dislike I have for Fresh!
- Yoiko - This is basically porn for people who like little girls but wish they had a mature body so it doesn't "look" bad. It's basically like Recorder to Randoseru but WAY more perverted since you get to see "little" girl boobs EVERY EPISODE!
- Space Adventure Cobra - Why can't we have shows like this anymore? I still have to watch the 2010 version but I'm positive it won't disappoint me. Cobra has become one of my favourite anime ever because it has so much I completely love. Especially since the SPACE isn't a lie from the title! Cobra himself is one awesome dude that has tonnes of sexy bitches surrounding him! So awesome!
- Mainichi Kaasan - I'm still not finished this show. It's got 142 episodes and I'm only halfway through still. But I gotta say its found its way into my heart. There's absolutely nothing special about it. It's about a mom who writes manga and has 2 kids. We go through their daily life and that's it! Some episodes can be boring but in each episode there's short stories so it doesn't take long for something new to come along if one of the segments is lame. My favourite thing about the show are these spirits that visit the mom giving her "tips" on parenting. They have an awesome song that gets stuck in my head for hours when they appear too! XD
MOVIES & OVA's
- Lupin III - Specials 16-23 (minus the Detective Conan crossover since I already watched that one a while ago) were watched. So happy I've now seen them all. I made a list of them all favourite to least. I didn't hate sitting through any of them though which is a very good thing. The newest one being, Special 23: Blood Seal - The Eternal Mermaid, ended up being my favourite. It just has so much awesomeness that makes Lupin Lupin to me, I enjoyed it throughly.
- Mardock Scramble - Finally got around to this first movie. It's interesting I'll give it that much. It really reminds me of an updated version of Kite but with the futuristic setting from Ghost in the Shell.
- A shit load of Shorts - I'm a huge fan of shorts like I said above. I watched a lot of them over the last little while but I'm sad to say that none really stood out except for THIS!
Still going strong watching everything at this point. I'm ready for a few of the series to be over and done with but here's a small highlight on what I'm really enjoying right now that you don't already know about.
- Mysterious Girlfriend X - This started off with a 8/10 score. It since has jumped to a perfect 10. I've enjoyed every single episode so much and it's quickly turning into one of my favourite romantic comedies!
- Ginga e Kickoff - I don't understand how this kiddy show is SO FREAKING GOOD. It has no right to be but here we are. It's honestly way better than the other soccer anime airing along side it. More people need to watch this awesome show.
- Fairy Tail - I've finally caught up with like 20 episodes or whatever I had stalk piled. I won't spew a bunch of stuff about it here but I gotta say that I love time skips!
- Kingdom - This show I didn't expect anyone to pick it up to sub. These kind of Chinese stories tend to get no love but to my surprise 2 groups (as far as I know) have picked it up. I was so happy when I discovered this. The first episode was a long one at 50 minutes and it ended on a great cliffhanger that has me BEGGING for more. I'm going to look forward to this show each and every week, or whenever episodes happen to get subbed of it! My only issue with it is that some weird CG kicks in now and then and takes the flow away from what's going on but I'll forgive it for that!
After an insane spring of watching every anime airing I've decided to do what I did with winter and not watch everything while it airs this summer and marathon them after they are finished. I'm just going to watch S2's of shows and I have made an exception for 2 new shows. The other noitaminA show Natsuyuki Rendezvous (lol spooky flowers) and the oh so awesome Oda Nobuna no Yabou (lol more Oda Nobunaga silliness I can't resist!)
List of season 2's+: Hakuouki (WHY... But... Bishies...) Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere (I'm probably the only one SUPER pumped for the conclusion) Dog Days (I'm not sure why there's a S2 of this but S1 was fun enough. Dog girls is a nice change from cat girls!) Moyashimon (We'll brew YOU!) Rinne no Lagrange (I still have to watch S1 from winter! But I'll be doing that in time for S2 to start airing for sure) Yuru Yuri (Yay girls~)
I couldn't resist watching the spring season like I did for the winter season so I'll give some first impressions on all I've watched.
Gakkatsu - Made a post about it!
Shiba Inuko-san - A strange one about a girl who is a dog yet goes to school like a normal person. I'll give it a few more episodes before I choose weather I want to blog it or not. I'm sure I'll end up doing something with it.
Yurumates 3D - I actually expected this to be a full on series not a short episodes one because there are already 2 ova's of it. Can't say this will get better with time.
Recorder to Randoseru 2 - Picks up right where S1 left off. (Did anyone aside from this person and me watch it?) This show is silly pandering to both girls and boys. I oddly find it quite amusing.
Kuromajo-san ga Tooru - Meh not very interesting since I can barely remember what it was about. I just remember it was too long being at 7 minutes... Which you know... Is never good for a short episode series to give an impression of.
Fate/Zero - Picked up right where season 1 left off. It's good to have it back~
Kimi to Boku - More boys and cats. Can't go wrong here in my opinion~
Kore wa Zombie desu ka? - Yet another that picked up right where season 1 left off. This first episode even felt like the first episode of season 1.
Phi Brain - Again, picked up right where season 1 left off. I look forward to my weekly dose of puzzles~
Saki - So the mahjong girls are back. I'll watch it because I watched S1 but I'm going to expect the same results as S1... Meh.
Queen's Blade - This first episode kicked off with a booty-licious pirate babe! I was amused. Good to have Queen's Blade back for my weekly dose of awesome boobs and hilarity!
I've kept up with Cardfight!! Vanguard but haven't watched any of the S2 yet. I will watch it though as I've become fond of the show somehow... Pretty Rhythm Aurora Dream has slow subs but they are getting there so I'll wait till I can finish S1 before diving into S2. Jewelpet S4 I have no interest in due to not having seen any of the other seasons of this show. I kinda want to but I'll wait till season 1 appears. There's a bunch of other kiddy anime airing as well of course but I don't keep up with them either.
Continuations of franchises
Eureka Seven - Now I'm not the hugest fan of Eureka Seven but I highly enjoyed this first episode. I really think that old dude with the glasses is pretty darn hot too. I hope this one exceeds my low expectations for the franchise.
Haiyoru - This had a short episode series made so I wasn't expecting to like the full anime as much as I did. Somehow they improved on the shitty little short and made it watchable. I can't say that I believe the series will stay this way though. I give it 3 more episodes before it suffers the same fate as the short episode series.
Lupin III - A series focusing on Fujiko? Fuck yes! And I wasn't shocked or offended by the amount of boobs that was in this either unlike most people. I mean really... It's about Fujiko!
SD Naruto Rock Lee - Worst than I thought it was going to be... Which wasn't good to start with. I'm sad that the bf actually liked it...
Arashi no Yoru ni - I love this movie to bits. This series weirds me out a bit due to the English cast and the CG but I think I'll get over it. Mei has something weird going on as well that I hope to get over as time goes on. Overall though it was a fun watch.
The only one I'm not watching since I haven't seen any of the series at all is Saint Seiya. Maybe I'll get around to it at a later point this year but I'm actually not counting on that. It is however a series I really do want to watch sooner than later so... Eventually!
Expect at least 3 more posts with all the other new NEW anime first episode impressions within the next few days. ^__^