Honestly this year has been pretty slow anime wise for me. I got a PS3 for Christmas and lets just say I've been very happy with said purchase. Final Fantasy XIII and XIII-2 have been my obsessions along with Dynasty Warriors Gundam I and II. I need to get III still but II has been keeping me quite busy even though I don't like it as much as I. How I don't have Dynasty Warriors 7 yet is a little mind baffling but all I can say is SOON.
Anyway enough about video games as that could easily fill a whole post and well I might just do that at a later date. I've honestly barely watched any anime this year series wise. I'm always in the mood for a one off ova or movie though so that's what this post is mostly about. I did finally watch Souten Kouro this year since subs were finally completed for it. It totally filled my RotK need for a while. Having the story revolve around Cao Cao was rather awesome and really makes me look forward to the last RotK title I have yet to watch, Koutetsu Sangokushi. I can only hope that one day the 2010 remake RotK series will be completely subbed. There's only so much enjoyment I can get from watching it raw after all.
The only other series I've completed so far that hasn't been currently airing was Galaxy Angel X and A. I watched Galaxy Angel and Z for my not so secret santa project so I figured I should complete the series. I still have to watch Galaxy Angel Rune though but I'll get around to it eventually. Rune apparently does things differently since X and A were pretty much the same as the first 2 series. I'm looking forward to Rune simply because it'll be a different take on the Galaxy Angel stuff which will be refreshing. It's a good series overall but nothing amazing either.
The fact that 3 big shounen series I watch and a lot of others as well, ended recently was a little strange. Beelzebub and Bleach sure I can live without airing anymore. I liked both shows alright but I won't miss watching them every week either. Gintama though... We just got it back and they take it away from us again! I'll look forward to when it comes back because I have faith that it certainly will. I'll at least look forward to more movies~
I've started watching Toriko again because my boyfriend was driving me nuts asking when we were going to watch more. Since I planned on blogging this (and I still do I swear) I didn't want to watch any of the episodes because then the chances of me blogging earlier episodes really start to disappear if I watch ahead of where I left off blogging. I gotta say I completely love this series. It shows a great love for food which I certainly share and I bet most people can relate to as well. I love food eating reactions! Toriko does this very well honestly and makes me remember just how awesome Yakitate!! Japan was when it came to food reactions too. I'm not 100% caught up with the series yet but I'm currently on episode 33 and plan to be caught up fully in the next few days.
- Sora no Otoshimono - This was a great recap movie. Everything about it made me smile and laugh. I can't wait for Season 3 to air.
- Suite Precure - Suite is my favourite Pretty Cure title to date so it should be no surprise that the Suite Movie has become my favourite Pretty Cure movie. But then again all the Pretty Cure movies are pretty great in their own ways.
- Fullmetal Alchemist: The Sacred Star of Milos - I don't know why people were expecting super duper amazing plot and such with this movie. After all it was just a one off random story. I went in expecting awesome shounen action and that is exactly what I received and enjoyed a great deal.
- Recollections of a Certain Pilot - This movie doesn't really do anything new or amazing but I'm a sucker for planes in anime~
- Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kira - I don't even know why I watch these Higurashi ova's anymore... Guess I just love the series that much.
- Steins;Gate - This ova was so darn cute by the end because the very end is what made it so awesome. I'm looking forward to that movie they'll be doing.
- Fantascope Tylostoma -
- Hotarubi no Mori e - A lovely short ova about a girl falling in love with a spirit. It's a little sad but oh so lovely at the same time.
- Gyo - GASHUNK! It was a great ova of a great anime. I know a lot of people were disappointed with it but I honestly can't figure out why. It did everything perfectly!
- Nakedyouth - I've actually watched this a few years ago but it floated up on my radar again and made me remember just how lovely a one off 10 minute work can be. Almost anything that explores youth and sexuality is always a treat to watch.
I've actually not watched a lot that finished airing during the winter season. I plan on watching them all but with it looking quite meh according to my tastes I decided I would skip watching it while it currently aired and wait till they were finished. I did watch a few I knew I would enjoy or that just happened to be Season continuations of shows I have already seen all of. I tried watching Another and Mouretsu Pirates while they aired/airing but sadly Mouretsu Pirates just didn't do it for me in the 3 episodes I sat though and just made me angry. Another is a horror anime so those are generally best marathoned instead of watching one episode a week. I do plan on watching both still along with everything but these are my priority anime from winter that have finished: Another, Black Rock Shooter, Nisemonogatari, Senki Zesshou Symphogear, and Rinne no Lagrange. If there's one you think I'm missing that I should get to asap leave a comment and I'll consider.
- Brave10 - I love these kind of anime. You know the ones with pretty boys and girls whooping each others asses... Yeah those... <3
- Daily Lives of High School Boys - HILARIOUS~
- Thermae Romae - HILARIOUS~
- Zero no Tsukaima 4 - I'm sure an ova will pop up for this at some point. But it's good to have it finished for fans.
- Recorder to Randoseru - a short episode series about a small girl who is in high school and her large brother that is in grade school. I've oddly enjoyed this series and an oddly glad that it is continuing into the spring season.
- Gokujo - another short episode series. This one is about girls being dirty and gross. Very pervy too. It's charming in it's own strange way.
- NatsumeYuujinchou Shi - Season 5 where?! <3
- Tantei Opera Milky Holmes 2 - meh
- Poyopoyo Kansatsu Nikki - still airing!!! ROUND CAT IS ROUND~
So far I've only watched one SPRING 2012 anime. That being Space Brothers of course. It was the #1 anime I was looking forward to and it certainly didn't disappoint me which was delightful. I might try blogging it but well we all know how terrible I am with keeping up to date with those. 😛
Favourites are a great thing. What makes these shows mine is that I think about them very often when I'm thinking about anime and wish to watch them more than once. Some of them I've already watched 5+ times. To be a favourite they also must be entertaining as a whole series. So if they have season 2's or more, I should have loved them just as much as their season one. Everything on the list below applies! I've been meaning to make this kind of list for many years now and I've finally sat down and mulled through all my anime titles and picked these 100 to be my absolute favourites.
Like digitalboy I'll be updating this list regularly from now on but not once a month. I will only update when I feel an anime has stood up to my standards to break into this 100 anime list. I will keep a list at the bottom of this page which of which anime has moved in and which it has kicked out. I doubt that it'll happen very often but time will tell. Check out my Does Not Want List for a taste of my dislikes.
1. Legend of the Galactic Heroes
2. Fullmetal Alchemist
3. Full Metal Panic!
4. Hikaru no Go
5. Macross Plus
6. Romance of the Three Kingdoms
7. Jyu Oh Sei
9. Ristorante Paradiso
10. Infinite Ryvius
12. Princess Mononoke
13. Serial Experiments Lain
14. Ninja Scroll
16. Super Dimensional Fortress Macross
17. Mobile Suit Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory
18. Strawberry Marshmallow
19. Hi no Tori
20. Nasu: Summer in Andalusia
22. Neon Genesis Evangelion
23. Koi Kaze
25. Rose of Versailles
26. You're Under Arrest!
28. Kare Kano
29. Kita e ~Diamond Dust Drops~
30. Twelve Kingdoms
31. Kemono no Souja Erin
32. Cowboy Bebop
33. Crest of the Stars / Banner of the Stars
34. Mobile Suit Gundam 00
35. Himitsu: The Revelation
36. Higurashi no Naku Koro ni / Umineko no Naku Koro ni
37. 3 x 3 Eyes
38. Whisper of the Heart
39. Honey and Clover
40. Now and Then, Here and There
45. Hunter X Hunter
46. Yakitate!! Japan
47. Detroit Metal City
48. Battle Angel Alita
49. Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo
50. Last Exile
51. Turn A Gundam
52. Guin Saga
53. Blue Submarine No. 6
54. Haibane Renmei
55. Astro Fighter Sunred AKA Tentai Senshi Sunred
56. One Piece
57. Detective Conan
58. Kara no Kyoukai - The Garden of Sinners
61. House of Five Leaves AKA Sarai-ya Goyou
62. Toki wo Kakeru Shoujo
65. Hotori: Tada Saiwai o Koinegau
67. Heroic Age
68. Dirty Pair
69. Millennium Actress
70. Neko Rahmen
73. Puni Puni Poemy
74. Excel Saga
75. Arakawa Under the Bridge
76. Giant Robo
77. Dominion Tank Police
79. Antique Bakery
80. Tokyo Godfathers
81. Iria: Zeiram The Animation
82. Nodame Cantabile
83. Nausicaa Of The Valley Of The Wind
84. Grave of the Fireflies
86. Alien Nine
89. Rurouni Kenshin
90. Patlabor: The Mobile Police
91. Junjou Romantica
95. Sora no Otoshimono
96. Video Girl AI
100. X: The Movie
From the anime Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Ling Yao is the 12th prince of Xing, and represents the Yao Clan. His goal is to find immortality and become the next emperor with his people's support. During his search he has many encounters with the homunculi, in particular Greed whom he will have a very interesting relationship with throughout the series.
Why I like him: I love how he can be completely silly and hilarious in one moment then turn into a dark and serious fighter. His fighting skills are quite impressive with a sword and I love how his eyes are always squinting. Most characters that have their eyes like that are awesome. He cares for his people greatly and takes good care of those that are closest to him. No one is a small person to him. Scroll over for ***SPOILER*** When he merges with Greed willingly that was just a shocking moment. But as time goes on he is able to control Greed in a way that Greed probably didn't see coming. Just amazing willpower.
Why I hate him: I can't think of anything to hate about him honestly. Just too bad-ass.
Overall: The Xing Country people were a nice addition to see in an animated Fullmetal Alchemist. I will get around to reading the manga someday.
From the anime Fullmetal Alchemist, Maes Hughes works in the military intelligence division and is a close friend of Roy Mustang. He has a great love for his family and is a very loyal friend. His weapons of choice are knives that he can very skillfully through when he needs to.
Why I like him: Energetic and hilarious but knows when to be serious and lend a helping hand. Every character he interacts with you can't help but to smile, especially when he would go on and on about his family to Roy.
Why I hate him: Scroll over for ***SPOILER*** Totally not his fault but his death was one of the saddest things I've seen in anime. I was too angry to cry about it though.
Overall: Happy Father's Day! Maes is one of the best dad's ever!