Diving back into anime for the Spring season was an obvious choice for me since Spring and Fall always hold the most potential for anime awesomeness. Along with watching every single anime airing, I started my Cooking With Oishii Anime series. I think it's going pretty well so far and I hope people are as entertained by it as I am. I love cooking and I'm rather glad I got back into it this way. Joining 2 passions is always a good thing.
Sai Mecha has started and I plan on posting all my votes on here since I love ma mecha. I enjoy this mecha battle royal very much because of all the hilarity that comes out of all mecha fans that take part! I gotta thank ExecutiveOtaku once again because this was the best idea ever. He also sent me a bunch of DINOSAURS! Which are totally awesome and arrived today. I'm going to do something fun bloggy wise with them soon.
There's been quite a lot of drama over at the Aniblog Tourney and honestly it's rather gross. I had a lot of fun the first time around but this time it's just pathetic. I had a really cute and hilarious post scheduled for my next round in it (cause ya I somehow made it to the 2nd round much to a lot of people's dismay I'm sure...) But I'm not even going to bother posting it now. If I'm just going to get called a "beggar" (because NO ONE ELSE was telling people to vote for them NOPE!) and get called a terrible person because I can't stand certain popular anime. Ohhh whatever internet! LOL It's not like I blog for YOU! I blog for ME. And I'll keep blogging and doing what I please even among the haters. ^___^ Gotta thank Digiboy for cheering me up over this silliness! COME ON EVERY PONY SMILE SMILE SMILE! FILL MY HEART UP WITH SUNSHINE SUNSHINE!
Anyway onto anime! The Toriko x One Piece Crossover 2 aired and it was awesome! I'm fully caught up on Toriko since my last Tuesday Tally post and I gotta say it's just gotten better and better. I love Toriko's relationship with Komatsu! It has been an amazing ride. Komatsu I really didn't like at first but he's grown on me a great deal and he's a great passionate character. I can't wait to see what more greatness Toriko has planned for us.
I finally got around to finishing off almost all the Winter 2012 anime. I put Rinne no Lagrange on hold for now since I think watching it right before the other half of it airs during this summer would be best. I might even re-watch the first season of Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere since it's S2 is also airing during the summer. I re-started Mouretsu Pirates and I still don't like it which just pisses me off at this point. I'm still going strong on Poyopoyo of course. Gotta love that round cat! I started The Knight in the Area which is a soccer anime. I'm not to fond of it honestly and am instead hilariously enough enjoying springs soccer anime Ginga e Kickoff slightly more.
- Another - *snorts*
- Ano Natsu de Matteru - I actually really enjoyed this one. Too bad it took 6 episodes for me to really get into it. I feel there was a little lost potential in the beginning but I was rewarded with a pretty awesome ending. I love aliens~
- Papa no Iu Koto o Kikinasai - Reminded me a lot of Kodomo no Jikan... Might be because I watched that too recently.
- Baby, Please Kill Me - Holy crap this show was SO annoying. I have no idea how I marathoned this. If I never hear the words "Kill me Baby" ever again I'll be content. That normal school girl was the most annoying girl ever.
- Black Rock Shooter - Meh.
- High School DxD - I now know what the DxD stands for... -_-
- Inu x Boku SS - The character that turned into a scroll was awesome. I really enjoyed this one even if it felt like a typical show very clearly aimed at girls.
- Nisemonogatari - Like the first series it was pretty. That's as far as I go interest wise. This one had that oh so famous toothbrush scene that had everyone talking about it. I just gotta say it was gross but probably not for the same reasons as everyone else. I hate anything that has to do with teeth so it just made me feel awkward and queasy while trying to watch it.
- Senki Zesshou Symphogear - Oh wow what can I say about this. It wasn't that great but it wasn't too terrible either. It felt like something I just couldn't pull my attention away from even if it was a huge mash up of so many different anime. They should have just focused on mimicking one or 2 and made it great instead of who knows how many and just making a hilarious fool of its self.
- Aquarion - I watched the first Aquarion series because I wanted to start Evol as soon as possible because everyone has been freaking out over it the entire time it has been airing. And honestly I can see why. It takes everything from the first series and makes it COMPLETELY better. LET ME FILL YOUR HOLE!
- Potemayo - CUTE!
- Kodomo no Jikan ALL - If you ignore all the gross pervy stuff there's actually a pretty darn good show lurking underneath.
- Don Dracula - Old silly short series about vampire daddy and his vampire daughter. Great for some laughs especially if you enjoy Tezuka's silly humour.
- Negima ALL - First series was alright. I found that I really enjoyed the music and sound effects a lot which is kind of hilarious to me. The second series took all those awesome noises away and just left me with the characters. It was an alright watch too honestly save for the ferret thing. That little guy was made to be way more obnoxious the second time around. The ova's were silly fun and the movie was actually pretty awesome and gave the series an alright closure in my opinion.
- Shining Tears X Wind - Only watched this because it's like the unofficial prequel to the currently airing Shining Hearts: Shiawase no Pan. It wasn't a bad watch but it felt like any other typical fantasy show.
- Hajime no Ippo: New Challenger - NEED MORE.
- School Rumble 2 - More of the same hilarity that S1 brought. I somehow feel like there should be more!
- Ace wo Nerae - I'm half way through this writing this post and will probably be finished it later today. I watched the movie first and I gotta say it's delivering pretty much the same way. Gotta love that really old shoujo! It just has this perfect class that newer shoujo just can't get right.
MOVIES & OVA's
- Minori Scramble - Do you like PENGUINS?! Watch this adorable cute ova even if you don't!
- Eiji - Yet another fun and short ova about boxing. Good for a quick watch.
- Cipher - HOLY SHIT BALLS! I have no freaking clue wtf this strange ass ova was about and I don't think I could try and explain it. You just gotta see it for yourself if you love to torture yourself watching old shitty anime.
- Un-Go - This was awesome because it felt like I was still watching the series. A delightful 2 parter somewhere in the middle of it all. Very fun and you need to check it out if you haven't already and love this show.
- Lupin Special 14 - Yet another retelling of the beginning of it all. Very fun in the typical Lupin fashion.
- Gon - DINOSAUR ASS KICKING... Yeah more on this very soon.
- Space Brothers - SPACE ASS KICKING... Again more on this very soon... Hopefully!
- Folktales from Japan - This show is full of amazing one off stories. We get 3 random tales each episode. This anime is lovely and everyone should really give it a chance.
- Shirokuma Café - HOLY SHIT! ANIMALS KICK ASS... Totally more on this soon! PANDA SERVICE! Oh yeah! My good friend is totally writing something awesome for each episode which I totally encouraged! XD
Hajime no Ippo is about a weak kid who is tired of being beaten up so he takes up boxing and an awesome story is born!
These uniforms are plain and simple but that is what makes them special too. This show is down to earth and there's nothing flashy about it. Boxing aside anyway. Plain black uniforms are the style here. Even for the girls. They match quite well actually. Girls happen to wear a red tie but that's as far as standing out they go. I really do like the long skirts. Nice change from the short ones we almost always see.
Overall: Meh sure.
Sixth in line for the Not so Secret Santa Project is the delightful Hajime no Ippo! I took up DonKangolJones's challenge to watch this anime to prove just how manly I am. I watched the 2 movies that were made too. I'm pretty manly!
Hajime no Ippo AKA Fighting Spirit's plot is simple. A boy named Ippo is the target of bulling. He hates that they pick on him but he doesn't know how to change his fate. One day the usual happened but this time he gets saved by someone. This someone just happens to be an up and coming boxer named Takamura. And thus a great friendship was born between the 2 boys and an interest in boxing emerged. Together they work hard to be the best boxers that they can be.
Ippo is a fantastic motivational anime. It takes a lot of work to do anything and this show shows you just how hard those things can be. This particular goal happens to be boxing. I think boxers are some of the most talented and dedicated athletes out there. It's fucking hard to take blows to the head over and over again while throwing a bunch of your own. Then you have to add in watching their weight so that means a very VERY strict diet. There's all kinds of different weight classes: Featherweight, Lightweight, Middleweight, Heavyweight, these are the few I can name off the top of my head not being a super fan of the sport. Ippo was in the Featherweight class where his buddy Takamura is in the Middleweight.
The animation and music aren't really anything special but they do fit the theme/tone of the show. There's interesting lighting they use when the boxers are fighting each other in the ring that I noticed was used in One Pound Gospel too. It's very angelic like which to me means that they are really trying to glorify the brutal sport. I have no personal interest in boxing but I don't hate it or anything. I'm more of an MMA kind of girl. An even more brutal sport!
With the plot being only about making it big in boxing they really had to pull through with having amazing characters. And pull through they certainly did! Every character you wanted to root for. Every character was likable as long as you took the time to get to know them. And know them we certainly got to do. Most anime tell us a pretty alright story when it comes to character background but Ippo just did it so well! I didn't end up having a favourite character because I love them all so much. If I really had to choose one it would probably be Ichiro. I can't explain why I see him a tiny bit above the rest but I just do.
Overall, manly show is manly men fighting to be the best. I didn't get around to watching Hajime no Ippo: New Challenger to include in this review but be assured it'll appear eventually on here.
These following pictures are just some fun stats that show Ippo's progression during the show. Click to enlarge at your own risk!
* Story 8/10
* Animation 7/10
* Sound 7/10
* Characters 9/10
* Overall 8/10