I really need to get back into keeping up with blogging... I dunno why I've been super slacking this year all of a sudden but well I'm gonna try a little harder now... Or so I keep telling myself... >.> It's not like I've been super duper busy or anything either. But to be fair I was having a pretty rough time through February to March.
I really need to get more cooking with Oishii Anime posts up too. I have so many done but they require all the writing work still...
I am going to Anime Boston at the end of May though so there's lots of time to try and get motivated again!
Young Animator Training Project ova's have started to appear. I've only watched one so far (Arve Rezzle) but I thought it was pretty good. I'm going to wait for the last one to be released then I'll probably do a series of posts on this awesome project since i've been putting it off for 2 years now... >.>
Hyouge Mono subs finished! woot woot. Go watch it!
Wolf Children was a very heartwarming touching movie. A little slow of course but it hit all the right spots for sure. A more detailed post will be coming soon. Guskou Budori no Denki was a visual eye pleaser but the plot interest for me was pretty low.
Fairy Tail, Blood-C, Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha A's Movies... Meh... Watchable but still meh.
Space Brothers is still going!! I hope we get another 50 episodes since someone said they are only half through the manga at this point anyway.
WINTER 2013 has come to an end and I pretty much said what I think about every show here and here. I still feel the same about every show. S2 of Maoyuu Maou Yuusha WHEN? SPRING 2013 is short for me because I'm taking the season off and waiting for them to be complete. Which is honestly ok with me because not a lot is airing that seems of interest at the moment for me. Gonna watch all the Season 2's and the following:
- Attack on Titan - This is gonna be the new hotness for everyone so I midas well keep up with it. The first ep was pretty good for an introductory episode. Those faces are creepy as fuck!
- Line Offline Salaryman - Went from a short episode series in the winter to a full on show. Dunno what else to say.
- Ketsuekigata-kun - Blood needs love too I guess... wtf Japan why you so obsessed with blood types?
- Cyclops Shoujo Saipuu -
- Namiuchigiwa no Muromi-san - Why do people think mermaids are funny?
- Sparrow's Hotel - Looks like shit but it kinda entertaining.
- Aiura - Boring
Dibetagurashi: Ahiru no Seikatsu (A Duck's Life) I can't wait till subs appear for. This is gonna be the best show of spring I can feel it! Or maybe I just need a great replacement for Polar Bear Cafe. If it gets subs sometime soon I will likely attempt to blog it. If it is short episodes anyway. Higurashi Outbreak has me wondering if it will air or what too. OVA? Series? Who knows!
My April goal is to get through blogging all these short series I stopped on... Dunno if it'll happen but I at the very least want to do the last 2 episodes of Wooser!
Yup been a while yet again but oh well... Gaming kept me busy!
So I was going to not watch the winter anime till they all finished but wanting to get taking the screens to put up on Anime-Planet over with as soon as possibly lead me to picking everything up when all their episode 4's came out. Hockey started up again too which for some reason meant in my mind that I should watch the anime because I won't be gaming? I don't understand my thought process sometimes! Made sense at the time... I already chatted about all the shorts that are airing and some S2's HERE so check that out if you want. The only update from that post I have to talk about is that very day Line Offline Salaryman actually appeared with subs, turns out it is a pretty cute show that I enjoy greatly. Office workers doing office worker things! There's a bunny, cat, and bear "people" that work there too! Beast Saga has gotten off to a start too which is surprising. Only one episode of that is out so far but I found it to be decently entertaining so I'm looking forward to more episodes appearing.
Alright I'll start with all the winter shows thoughts I have then dive into the random stuff I've watched so far this year. I'll order the winter shows from favourite to not so favourite.
- Maoyuu Maou Yuusha - There's a lot more to this anime than the BOOBS that a lot of people only talk about for some reason. I don't understand why people do this honestly. Sure it is one little fanservice part. Then again the show that this is most like, Spice and Wolf, had the same deal going on with a naked wolf girl running around from time to time. So shut it because this anime is so much more than boobs and anyone that watches past episode 1 should agree. Looking at a war between humans and demons, 2 special people end up becoming really close and work together to end the war in a peaceful way that won't destroy the lively hood of their worlds. I really like the 2 main characters and I think I should try and write a review about it when it is finished to get all my thoughts out on it because this small paragraph really sucks.
- Mondaiji-tachi ga Isekai kara Kuru Sou Desu yo? AKA Problem Children Are Coming From Another World Aren't They? - Holy crap long titles are long -__- Anyway this was on my radar for being good and I like it when things that I want to be good turn out good. I really like the characters and look forward to watching it weekly.
- GJ-bu - Funnier than I expected. It is the kind of random slice of school life comedy I enjoy greatly. Love all the characters especially the cat girl and her meat bones! Too awesome.
- Bakumatsu Gijinden Roman - Old timey Japan Lupin style. Enough said. Entertaining and has an awesome dog in it.
- Cuticle Tantei Inaba - This is like Milky Holmes but way more funny so it is more like Azazel-san instead. I'm not sure why I'm enjoying this honestly... Probably the randomness.
- Tamako Market - Holy shit guys... This is a KyoAni show that I'm actually enjoying more than just a "passable" mark! This hasn't happened since Full Metal Panic Fumoffu and The Second Raid! I think this show is why I had a dream of making mochi last night and now I'm on a mission to bring you guys some Cooking With Oishii Anime mochi posts! My only complaint is that I wish it didn't have that typical look KyoAni moved towards with K-On. Also that bird is fucking hilarious!
- Vividred Operation - Yeah, yeah there's butts in this. But (hehe) there's so much more too. This is the kind of stupid show I have no expectations for at all and end up enjoying greatly. I mean there's some kind of attack going on, the girls have to transform a-la-magical-girl and then kick ass. What's not to like?
- Dokidoki! Pretty Cure - I have this tentatively in my lower half for winter because only one episode has come out so far. It was actually a pretty good episode but I always wait a bit before trying to rate a Pretty Cure show. So far I definitely can say that I like it more than Smile but not by much at the moment. [email protected]'s VA being a baddie in this one!
- [email protected] - Lots of talking about nothing... One of the few anime where the bro likes the sis that actually creeps me out.
- Amnesia - I only have one thing nice to say about this anime... Those eyes are PRETTY! I really hate the main chick...
- Senran Kagura - A bunch of boobed girls are going to school to become ninja's. Pretty typical fanservice type of show. I do however really like their teachers, especially Kiriya.
- Kotoura-san - I love, love, LOVE telepathy to death. I'm seriously obsessed with it. So when an anime ends up having this come up it always interests me. Too bad most of the time the show ends up being terrible. This is no exception to that rule... I will keep watching it though because of the telepathy laughs to be had in this boring school life show.
- Ore no Kanojo to Osananajimi ga Shuraba Sugiru - NO!
OTHER ANIME SO FAR THIS YEAR
- Nekomonogatari (Black) - Lots more talking about nothing.
- Tokyo Loop - Bunch of shorts all patched together to form this movie. Something like 16 artists helped create this fun collection of short works. Check it out if you like strange visuals and art house pieces.
- Mameshiba - Had to re-watch this because a batch with all of them came out. I LOVE BEAN DOGS!
- Koi-ken! Watashi-tachi Anime ni Nacchatta! - ehhh more shorts of idol culture. Pretty boring
- Eiyuu Densetsu: Sora no Kiseki AKA The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky - I watched this sure but can't really remember what it is about other that fantasy setting. Yup one of those bore you to death fantasy shows. I remember it looking pretty good though.
- Magic Tree House - Round Cow says it best. You should watch it!
- Houkago Midnighters AKA After School Midnighters - Not bad but not good. Very clearly made for kids yet there's some scenes in it that I think most parents over here would not approve of!
- Memories Off - So this shitty ova series has 4 ova's to it. First 2 are 3 painful episodes long, the 3rd one has 4 more painful episodes and then we finish off with the 4th one being one "movie" episode. Sometimes I think I hate myself watching "romantic" garbage like this...
- Zettai Karen Children - I'm still getting through this one but I've seen 10 episodes so far. It is mostly comedy with some random missions tossed in there for our psychic power welding girls.
- Bokura ga Ita - I might actually have a review coming of this... I hated it SO MUCH I don't even want to rant anymore about it at the moment... I very much so hate most shoujo shows of this nature...
- Key the Metal Idol - Finally finished this one after a month of trying. It was a long ride and it was one of the anime that my Secret Santa gave me. I'm glad I didn't try to blow through it to write a review for it because honestly I dunno where I would have started. I still don't. It is very interesting, disturbing, boring, and wtf all at once. I know I really enjoyed it so all of that was a good thing about it!
Till next time folks~
Mermaid or in Japanese Ningyo is one of Osamu Tezuka's short experimental movies. Memory also happens to be one of his short movies that was created in the same year. Both are very different but will make you wonder and think hard about what the message was. Mermaid is about a boy who likes to daydream but others don't understand this and extreme measures are taken for his sanity. Memory is about memories!
- 14 minutes to watch both
- Will make you think
- Memory is really weird
Why chii thinks you should watch it
Well seeing little pieces of moving history is always a good thing. Especially two that were done by the Godfather of Anime! More of his shorts are floating around so you should seek those out too! Mermaid has no talking which is pretty standard for shorts of the time yet it does a really good job imagery wise. It impressed me greatly with how it looks. It's actually really stunning. Memory does have talking but it is way more out there thought wise unlike Mermaid. Memory leaps from the thoughts of love, work, and war. Even extending to a time where humans might not even be on the Earth anymore. Wacky stuff awaits by the end of it. TOILETS!!
Further reactions to these MOVIES:
NONE AT THIS TIME
The Little Prince and the Eight-Headed Dragon or in Japanese Wanpaku Ouji no Orochi Taiji is one of the first fully animated coloured movies in Japan. It is about a boy named Susano, who is a God, his mother has just pass away so he is determined to go and find her. His father of course refuses to indulge in this journey. After a long tantrum Susano awakes on the beach to see his mothers spirit. After a heart to heart talk she magically gives him a necklace that will protect him from danger. Susano still wishes to go and see his mother in this very far away land called Heaven that she'll be staying at. She too tries to persuade him not to look for her but Susano of course sets off on a journey to find her after building his very own boat. Many adventures await him!
- Considered a classic
- Cute story
- Decent action
- Feels very Disney
- Animal sidekicks
- Feels very Disney
- Convenient things happen for Susano to succeed
Why chii thinks you should watch it
If you are a fan of movies this is a must see. It not only is one of the first coloured anime, it looks pretty darn great considering it was made in 1963. While the story and action/adventure aspect of the movie is pretty generic it still manages to keep the viewer entertained. At least I was. The music really helped with that as it is amazing. I kinda wish that the rabbit wasn't so annoying that goes with Susano on his journey but I think that was mostly the dub's fault. After all having it just be Susano going on this journey would have been pretty lame. So yeah go and check it out! It is only an hour and a half so it is no longer than an early Disney movie. It isn't the greatest thing ever but it won't be a waste of your time either.
Further reactions to this MOVIE:
Its been a busy summer for me life life wise and anime wise too I guess even though I feel like I barely watched anything even though the list below tells me otherwise... With summer ending things always calm down a lot around here so I start to "focus more" on the blog. I started planning my December posting schedule because that's always a busy month with 12 moments and various secret santa's. I'm looking forward to it a lot this year actually for some reason. Maybe because it actually makes me feel like I'm part of the aniblogsphere all over again or something. Oh shit that reminds me that my 3 year blogavasary is coming up... Anyway I put up a new poll a few weeks ago wondering what anime projects my readers are wanting to see more of. I'm proud to say I'm almost caught up with Poyo episodic postings which I didn't include on the poll because I'm doing that whether people like it or not! I hope to be caught up by the end of next week on them actually. Not that anyone particularly cares about these posts other than me and a select few of my readers, you know who you are <3. Anyway the poll tells me to start doing more Cooking with Oishii Anime posts. Which I'm happy to say I put one out last week and I'm in the progress of doing 2 more very soon so look forward to those.
I've started thinking about posting more about not so anime things on here too but I'm not so sure if want to do that on this blog or if I should be creating a new chii blog of sorts for all my non anime stuff. Because yes believe it or not I don't spend EVERY waking moment watching anime even though I'm sure most of you would still beg to differ. This idea came to mind when I did that 5 questions and answers thing. People have suggested that maybe I should just get a Tumblr for these things but that feels gross and lazy (even though lazy is rather perfect for me) to me for some reason. I also find that the majority of Tumblr's are a real pain in the ass to navigate and that's why I barely follow anyone on Tumblr. Anyway yeah this is still thinking in progress but I think it'll be great old fun since I have a boatload of ideas and strange shit just floating around in my head already why not make a blog about it! Anywho onto anime because that's what matters on this here bloggy!
- Cobra 2010 - I'm sad that I have no more Cobra to look forward to... Such a great series. It's everything I love about super sci-fi adventures.
- Ergo Proxy - I don't love it, I don't hate it. It lies somewhere in the middle the same way I feel about a few other shows that had a lot of great moments but too many issues for me at the same time. I'll probably never be able to say which side I lean towards with them but somehow I think this is positive.
- Fairy Musketeers Akazukin - If you liked Princess Tutu but wanted a more girly version of it this is a perfect fit.
- Kurogane Communication - Hidden treasure even if the ending is a little strange. You should watch it.
- Zaizen Jotaro - "Da Bomb" ...
- Okusama wa Mahou Shoujo - I think I'm going to muster up the strength to write a full on review of this show sometime. There is a lot to be said about it's great idea but poor execution.
- Panzer World Galient - So one morning during the summer after a night of hefty drinking and everyone else around me wandered off to sleep I was left wide awake. So I asked twitter what show I should watch RIGHT THAT INSTANT. They choose this and I gotta say it was one of the best old fantasy mecha anime I'd ever seen. Such great fun! Great OP too XD
- Android Ana MAICO 2010 - So 90s.
- Shouwa Monogatari - So glad this finally got subbed all the way through... Now if only Hyouge Mono would get finished up...
- Fist of the North Star - I finally started this because one of our friends that stayed for a week and a half wanted to watch the movie. But I was like screw that I have something better than that movie and we managed to get through 25 episodes or so always while eating. I still plan on blogging this for sure! I also just got the ps3 video game Ken's Rage too which so far has been a hoot!
- Lupin III S2 - I feel like I've been watching Lupin forever at this point. And honestly I have... I know it's been about 2 years since I started the series but it's slowly coming to an end with just under 80 episodes left to watch of the entire franchise.
- Yes Pretty Cure - I'm almost done S1 and I've been absolutely LOVING every moment of it. I think it might end up being my #2 favourite pretty cure series behind Suite but I'll wait till I finish it all off before claiming that to be 100% true.
MOVIES & OVA's
- The Glass Rabbit - Another WWII story.
- Starship Troopers: Invasion - Everything I wanted it to be and more!
- Hells - Landon says it best. (we're probably the only 2 people to have watched this movie...)
- Dragon Age - Suddenly I don't want to try playing the game anymore even though I own it...
- Elysium - I knew this was going to be terrible but I had been waiting YEARS to watch the terribleness!
- Happy Birthday Inochi Kagayaku Toki - Don't bully!
- 5-tou ni Naritai - Even if you have a disability you should still try to make the most out of life. Impending Diary post coming.
- Pattenrai - Really nice historical flick about bringing water to Taiwan.
- Towa no Quon - I'm not sure why more people haven't been talking about this one honestly. Then again I think I hold these movie series compilations on a higher pedestal than everyone else. It was everything I wanted and more honestly from an hour long 6 movie series. Had a few flaws towards the end and in the middle but I signed up for a good time and boy oh boy that's what I got. Give me special people with super powers doing awesome things ANYDAY!
I'll leave the mass sum up of summer for later so I'll just say a word or 2 about what stood out to me here. I marathoned the majority of these shows at the end of summer. Some still have one episode to go still but that's ok. The only 2 I haven't started yet is Campione and Kokoro Connect... For some reason I just can't bring myself to watch them... Campione I could care less about either way honestly but Kokoro Connect I'm dreading with all my bones. I can't explain why, I just am... Muv-Luv and Sword Art Online are continuing on into the fall and I'm happy about this. These are 2 shows that almost everyone likes to complain about but I'm happier than a fat kid with cake watching and enjoying these 2 greatly. Horizon is another one people love to hate on but not me! Horizon is so gooood~ Binbougami ga and Joshiraku I expected not to like but I actually REALLY like them a lot. Summer seems to have set me up for a lot of good comedy shows for some reason, not that I'm complaining. And I'll throw in that Tari Tari was not as dreadful as I thought it was going to be. The beginning epsiodes were lame as hell but the end ones completely saved it. So yeah I'll leave blabbering on about the whole summer season for my big wrap up in December.
Here's to looking forward to another season worth of anime. Wooo Fall.