Like every year Spring gave us more anime we knew what to do with! Unlike winter I actually watched everything as it aired. Save for those kiddy shows that I'm not following being Bakugan, Inazuma Eleven, Jewelpet, and Metal Fight Beyblade. Saint Seiya had another season but since I haven't seen any of that franchise to begin with that wasn't watched either. A season 2 of Pretty Rhythm aired but since season 1 isn't even finished being subbed that wasn't watched. When subs appear I'll watch it for sure since I'm enjoying season 1 of it alright.
Some short anime called Koi-ken aired but I haven't even seen raws for this appear. I'm ok with that since it apparently is based on a popular dating sim which I'm so not all about. Space Battleship Yamato 2199 looks interesting but I'd prefer to watch the first stuff for that before jumping into something new. Ozma I didn't watch because I want to do some fun stuff with the Leijiverse stuff eventually.
There was actually very few shows that I didn't enjoy watching this time around. The amount of great shows to choose from was just that good! Even the shitty shows had a few good things to offer so I can't complain about them too much either. I still wish more people would watch Gon...
Best Show of spring is SO hard to choose but I'm going to go with Space Brothers for sure. Honestly if it wasn't for that cat anime I'm blogging it surely would have been #1 of 2012! SPACE!!! Polar Bear Cafe is a super close second for spring too.
Worst Show of spring is Natsuiro Kiseki because while it had an interesting enough idea, cute girls doing stuff just doesn't do it for me in a drama setting.
Here's my big list of Best to Worst shows of spring 2012:
- Space Brothers / Uchuu Kyoudai (still airing) 10/10
- Polar Bear Cafe / Shirokuma Cafe (still airing) 10/10
- Mysterious Girlfriend X / Nazo no Kanojo X 10/10
- Fate/Zero 2 10/10
- Gon (still airing) 10/10
- Jormungand 9/10
- Tsuritama 8/10
- Kimi to Boku 2 8/10
- Sakamichi no Apollon / Kids on the Slope 8/10
- Folktales from Japan (still airing) 8/10
- Ginga e Kickoff!! (still airing) 8/10
- Sengoku Collection 8/10
- Zetman 8/10
- Phi Brain: Kami no Puzzle 2 7/10
- Acchi Kocchi 7/10
- Queen's Blade: Rebellion 7/10
- Accel World 7/10
- Eureka Seven Ao 7/10
- Gakkatsu! 7/10
- Kuroko's Basketball 7/10
- Kore wa Zombie desu ka? 7/10
- Haiyore! Nyaruko-san 7/10
- Arashi no Yoru ni 7/10
- Recorder to Randoseru 2 7/10
- Sankarea 6/10
- Lupin III ~Mine Fujiko to Iu Onna~ 6/10
- Saki 2 6/10
- Dusk Maiden of Amnesia / Tasogare Otome x Amnesia 6/10
- Hiiro no Kakera 6/10
- AKB0048 5/10
- Medaka Box 5/10
- Cardfight!! Vanguard 2 5/10
- Shining Hearts: Shiawase no Pan 5/10
- Upotte!! 5/10
- Kuromajo-san ga Tooru!! 5/10
- Yurumates 3D 4/10
- Hyou-ka: You Can't Escape 3/10
- Rock Lee no Seishun Full-Power Ninden (still airing) 3/10
- Shiba Inuko-san 3/10
- Natsuiro Kiseki 2/10
Surprise enjoyment: Ginga e Kickoff!! is a children's soccer show that should be watched by everyone! Mysterious Girlfriend X is a romance anime that I had no hopes for going in but ended up being one of the best romantic anime I've ever seen. Acchi Kocchi had great winter episodes which surprised me.
Surprise fail: Medaka Box ended up being quite lacking... I'll have more to say about it in the fall review.
Honorable mentions: Arashi no Yoru ni I'd like to see more of honestly. Lupin III ~Mine Fujiko to Iu Onna BOOBS! AKB0048 is fun but still lacking in awesomeness for me but at least there's a lot of SPACE! Shining Hearts has one of the most hilarious ED's ever! Eureka Seven Ao is finished finished now right?
Yet another winter came and went. 24 shows to choose from this time! I always like to watch everything in a year so all was watched yet again unless special circumstances apply! Doing these posts is always super fun with more anime to talk about anyway! Onward with winter aired anime!
Winter this time around gave me a whole lot of anime that I enjoyed. I didn't watch a lot of them till after they were finished airing since I needed an anime break after the holidays. I'll likely do the same this year honestly. I like how it ends up working out for me. Doing things this way puts me even further away from people in the aniblogsphere and on twitter but ehhh I'm finding it harder and harder over the years to want to dive right back into new anime at the start of a new year.
Smile Pretty Cure started but I'm sad to say it didn't live up to my expectations so I'm not too happy about that. At least watching my backlog of Yes, Pretty Cure fills the bill in awesome. The New Prince of Tennis and Danball Senki W weren't watched because I haven't seen any of the rest of their franchises. Someday I hope to get around to PoT but I'm in no hurry to watch a billion episodes of tennis. Amagami SS+I saved myself the trouble with and didn't watch it. I wasn't a fan of the first season and that was way longer than this one. Enough is enough of that for me!
Thermae Romae I have a hard time classifying as a TV show rather than a TV special since it was only 3 episodes. I'd put it at #3 if I did include it though. Man that show was so manly and hot.
Best Show of winter is Natsume Yuujinchou Shi because obviously Poyopoyo Kansatsu Nikki is the show of the year! 2 anime that have awesome cats in it at the top of my list? Can I get anymore predictable?!
Worst Show of winter is Kill Me Baby. I don't understand how anyone could have liked this show... From a terrible OP and ED to ugly characters to ANNOYING AS FUCK characters... Yeah it clearly wasn't made for someone like me.
Here's my big list of Best to Worst shows of winter 2012:
- Poyopoyo Kansatsu Nikki (still airing) 10/10
- Natsume Yuujinchou Shi 10/10
- Ano Natsu de Matteru / Waiting in the Summer 9/10
- Daily Lives of High School Boys / Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou 8/10
- Aquarion Evol 8/10
- Brave10 8/10
- Inu x Boku SS 8/10
- Senki Zesshou Symphogear 7/10
- Rinne no Lagrange 7/10
- Gokujo. Gokurakuin Joshikou Ryou Monogatari 7/10
- Recorder to Randoseru 7/10
- Nisemonogatari 6/10
- Black Rock Shooter 6/10
- Mouretsu Pirates 5/10
- Another 5/10
- Tantei Opera Milky Holmes 2 4/10
- Zero no Tsukaima Final 4/10
- Papa no Iu Koto o Kikinasai! / Listen to Me Girls, I'm Your Father! 3/10
- High School DxD 3/10
- Area no Kishi / The Knight in the Area 3/10
- Kill Me Baby 2/10
Surprise enjoyment: Inu x Boku SS honestly wasn't on my radar. Even better that the bf completely loved it too! Ano Natsu de Matteru romance, drama, drama, and aliens... Yup it found it's way into my heart!
Recorder to Randoseru is about a small girl who is in high school and her younger huge brother who is in kindergarten.
Typical sailor suits but the fun thing about these ones is that girls can wear a red or a blue tie. Blue skirt with a white long sleeved shirt is still the standard though. And of course boys are just wearing a plain all blue uniform with a blue or red tie as well.
We get to see her young brother sport a gym uniform. It's typical being white with blue trim. Girls of course have red.
I couldn't resist watching the spring season like I did for the winter season so I'll give some first impressions on all I've watched.
Gakkatsu - Made a post about it!
Shiba Inuko-san - A strange one about a girl who is a dog yet goes to school like a normal person. I'll give it a few more episodes before I choose weather I want to blog it or not. I'm sure I'll end up doing something with it.
Yurumates 3D - I actually expected this to be a full on series not a short episodes one because there are already 2 ova's of it. Can't say this will get better with time.
Recorder to Randoseru 2 - Picks up right where S1 left off. (Did anyone aside from this person and me watch it?) This show is silly pandering to both girls and boys. I oddly find it quite amusing.
Kuromajo-san ga Tooru - Meh not very interesting since I can barely remember what it was about. I just remember it was too long being at 7 minutes... Which you know... Is never good for a short episode series to give an impression of.
Fate/Zero - Picked up right where season 1 left off. It's good to have it back~
Kimi to Boku - More boys and cats. Can't go wrong here in my opinion~
Kore wa Zombie desu ka? - Yet another that picked up right where season 1 left off. This first episode even felt like the first episode of season 1.
Phi Brain - Again, picked up right where season 1 left off. I look forward to my weekly dose of puzzles~
Saki - So the mahjong girls are back. I'll watch it because I watched S1 but I'm going to expect the same results as S1... Meh.
Queen's Blade - This first episode kicked off with a booty-licious pirate babe! I was amused. Good to have Queen's Blade back for my weekly dose of awesome boobs and hilarity!
I've kept up with Cardfight!! Vanguard but haven't watched any of the S2 yet. I will watch it though as I've become fond of the show somehow... Pretty Rhythm Aurora Dream has slow subs but they are getting there so I'll wait till I can finish S1 before diving into S2. Jewelpet S4 I have no interest in due to not having seen any of the other seasons of this show. I kinda want to but I'll wait till season 1 appears. There's a bunch of other kiddy anime airing as well of course but I don't keep up with them either.
Continuations of franchises
Eureka Seven - Now I'm not the hugest fan of Eureka Seven but I highly enjoyed this first episode. I really think that old dude with the glasses is pretty darn hot too. I hope this one exceeds my low expectations for the franchise.
Haiyoru - This had a short episode series made so I wasn't expecting to like the full anime as much as I did. Somehow they improved on the shitty little short and made it watchable. I can't say that I believe the series will stay this way though. I give it 3 more episodes before it suffers the same fate as the short episode series.
Lupin III - A series focusing on Fujiko? Fuck yes! And I wasn't shocked or offended by the amount of boobs that was in this either unlike most people. I mean really... It's about Fujiko!
SD Naruto Rock Lee - Worst than I thought it was going to be... Which wasn't good to start with. I'm sad that the bf actually liked it...
Arashi no Yoru ni - I love this movie to bits. This series weirds me out a bit due to the English cast and the CG but I think I'll get over it. Mei has something weird going on as well that I hope to get over as time goes on. Overall though it was a fun watch.
The only one I'm not watching since I haven't seen any of the series at all is Saint Seiya. Maybe I'll get around to it at a later point this year but I'm actually not counting on that. It is however a series I really do want to watch sooner than later so... Eventually!
Expect at least 3 more posts with all the other new NEW anime first episode impressions within the next few days. ^__^
Honestly this year has been pretty slow anime wise for me. I got a PS3 for Christmas and lets just say I've been very happy with said purchase. Final Fantasy XIII and XIII-2 have been my obsessions along with Dynasty Warriors Gundam I and II. I need to get III still but II has been keeping me quite busy even though I don't like it as much as I. How I don't have Dynasty Warriors 7 yet is a little mind baffling but all I can say is SOON.
Anyway enough about video games as that could easily fill a whole post and well I might just do that at a later date. I've honestly barely watched any anime this year series wise. I'm always in the mood for a one off ova or movie though so that's what this post is mostly about. I did finally watch Souten Kouro this year since subs were finally completed for it. It totally filled my RotK need for a while. Having the story revolve around Cao Cao was rather awesome and really makes me look forward to the last RotK title I have yet to watch, Koutetsu Sangokushi. I can only hope that one day the 2010 remake RotK series will be completely subbed. There's only so much enjoyment I can get from watching it raw after all.
The only other series I've completed so far that hasn't been currently airing was Galaxy Angel X and A. I watched Galaxy Angel and Z for my not so secret santa project so I figured I should complete the series. I still have to watch Galaxy Angel Rune though but I'll get around to it eventually. Rune apparently does things differently since X and A were pretty much the same as the first 2 series. I'm looking forward to Rune simply because it'll be a different take on the Galaxy Angel stuff which will be refreshing. It's a good series overall but nothing amazing either.
The fact that 3 big shounen series I watch and a lot of others as well, ended recently was a little strange. Beelzebub and Bleach sure I can live without airing anymore. I liked both shows alright but I won't miss watching them every week either. Gintama though... We just got it back and they take it away from us again! I'll look forward to when it comes back because I have faith that it certainly will. I'll at least look forward to more movies~
I've started watching Toriko again because my boyfriend was driving me nuts asking when we were going to watch more. Since I planned on blogging this (and I still do I swear) I didn't want to watch any of the episodes because then the chances of me blogging earlier episodes really start to disappear if I watch ahead of where I left off blogging. I gotta say I completely love this series. It shows a great love for food which I certainly share and I bet most people can relate to as well. I love food eating reactions! Toriko does this very well honestly and makes me remember just how awesome Yakitate!! Japan was when it came to food reactions too. I'm not 100% caught up with the series yet but I'm currently on episode 33 and plan to be caught up fully in the next few days.
- Sora no Otoshimono - This was a great recap movie. Everything about it made me smile and laugh. I can't wait for Season 3 to air.
- Suite Precure - Suite is my favourite Pretty Cure title to date so it should be no surprise that the Suite Movie has become my favourite Pretty Cure movie. But then again all the Pretty Cure movies are pretty great in their own ways.
- Fullmetal Alchemist: The Sacred Star of Milos - I don't know why people were expecting super duper amazing plot and such with this movie. After all it was just a one off random story. I went in expecting awesome shounen action and that is exactly what I received and enjoyed a great deal.
- Recollections of a Certain Pilot - This movie doesn't really do anything new or amazing but I'm a sucker for planes in anime~
- Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kira - I don't even know why I watch these Higurashi ova's anymore... Guess I just love the series that much.
- Steins;Gate - This ova was so darn cute by the end because the very end is what made it so awesome. I'm looking forward to that movie they'll be doing.
- Fantascope Tylostoma -
- Hotarubi no Mori e - A lovely short ova about a girl falling in love with a spirit. It's a little sad but oh so lovely at the same time.
- Gyo - GASHUNK! It was a great ova of a great anime. I know a lot of people were disappointed with it but I honestly can't figure out why. It did everything perfectly!
- Nakedyouth - I've actually watched this a few years ago but it floated up on my radar again and made me remember just how lovely a one off 10 minute work can be. Almost anything that explores youth and sexuality is always a treat to watch.
I've actually not watched a lot that finished airing during the winter season. I plan on watching them all but with it looking quite meh according to my tastes I decided I would skip watching it while it currently aired and wait till they were finished. I did watch a few I knew I would enjoy or that just happened to be Season continuations of shows I have already seen all of. I tried watching Another and Mouretsu Pirates while they aired/airing but sadly Mouretsu Pirates just didn't do it for me in the 3 episodes I sat though and just made me angry. Another is a horror anime so those are generally best marathoned instead of watching one episode a week. I do plan on watching both still along with everything but these are my priority anime from winter that have finished: Another, Black Rock Shooter, Nisemonogatari, Senki Zesshou Symphogear, and Rinne no Lagrange. If there's one you think I'm missing that I should get to asap leave a comment and I'll consider.
- Brave10 - I love these kind of anime. You know the ones with pretty boys and girls whooping each others asses... Yeah those... <3
- Daily Lives of High School Boys - HILARIOUS~
- Thermae Romae - HILARIOUS~
- Zero no Tsukaima 4 - I'm sure an ova will pop up for this at some point. But it's good to have it finished for fans.
- Recorder to Randoseru - a short episode series about a small girl who is in high school and her large brother that is in grade school. I've oddly enjoyed this series and an oddly glad that it is continuing into the spring season.
- Gokujo - another short episode series. This one is about girls being dirty and gross. Very pervy too. It's charming in it's own strange way.
- NatsumeYuujinchou Shi - Season 5 where?! <3
- Tantei Opera Milky Holmes 2 - meh
- Poyopoyo Kansatsu Nikki - still airing!!! ROUND CAT IS ROUND~
So far I've only watched one SPRING 2012 anime. That being Space Brothers of course. It was the #1 anime I was looking forward to and it certainly didn't disappoint me which was delightful. I might try blogging it but well we all know how terrible I am with keeping up to date with those. 😛