Honestly this year has been pretty slow anime wise for me. I got a PS3 for Christmas and lets just say I've been very happy with said purchase. Final Fantasy XIII and XIII-2 have been my obsessions along with Dynasty Warriors Gundam I and II. I need to get III still but II has been keeping me quite busy even though I don't like it as much as I. How I don't have Dynasty Warriors 7 yet is a little mind baffling but all I can say is SOON.
Anyway enough about video games as that could easily fill a whole post and well I might just do that at a later date. I've honestly barely watched any anime this year series wise. I'm always in the mood for a one off ova or movie though so that's what this post is mostly about. I did finally watch Souten Kouro this year since subs were finally completed for it. It totally filled my RotK need for a while. Having the story revolve around Cao Cao was rather awesome and really makes me look forward to the last RotK title I have yet to watch, Koutetsu Sangokushi. I can only hope that one day the 2010 remake RotK series will be completely subbed. There's only so much enjoyment I can get from watching it raw after all.
The only other series I've completed so far that hasn't been currently airing was Galaxy Angel X and A. I watched Galaxy Angel and Z for my not so secret santa project so I figured I should complete the series. I still have to watch Galaxy Angel Rune though but I'll get around to it eventually. Rune apparently does things differently since X and A were pretty much the same as the first 2 series. I'm looking forward to Rune simply because it'll be a different take on the Galaxy Angel stuff which will be refreshing. It's a good series overall but nothing amazing either.
The fact that 3 big shounen series I watch and a lot of others as well, ended recently was a little strange. Beelzebub and Bleach sure I can live without airing anymore. I liked both shows alright but I won't miss watching them every week either. Gintama though... We just got it back and they take it away from us again! I'll look forward to when it comes back because I have faith that it certainly will. I'll at least look forward to more movies~
I've started watching Toriko again because my boyfriend was driving me nuts asking when we were going to watch more. Since I planned on blogging this (and I still do I swear) I didn't want to watch any of the episodes because then the chances of me blogging earlier episodes really start to disappear if I watch ahead of where I left off blogging. I gotta say I completely love this series. It shows a great love for food which I certainly share and I bet most people can relate to as well. I love food eating reactions! Toriko does this very well honestly and makes me remember just how awesome Yakitate!! Japan was when it came to food reactions too. I'm not 100% caught up with the series yet but I'm currently on episode 33 and plan to be caught up fully in the next few days.
- Sora no Otoshimono - This was a great recap movie. Everything about it made me smile and laugh. I can't wait for Season 3 to air.
- Suite Precure - Suite is my favourite Pretty Cure title to date so it should be no surprise that the Suite Movie has become my favourite Pretty Cure movie. But then again all the Pretty Cure movies are pretty great in their own ways.
- Fullmetal Alchemist: The Sacred Star of Milos - I don't know why people were expecting super duper amazing plot and such with this movie. After all it was just a one off random story. I went in expecting awesome shounen action and that is exactly what I received and enjoyed a great deal.
- Recollections of a Certain Pilot - This movie doesn't really do anything new or amazing but I'm a sucker for planes in anime~
- Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kira - I don't even know why I watch these Higurashi ova's anymore... Guess I just love the series that much.
- Steins;Gate - This ova was so darn cute by the end because the very end is what made it so awesome. I'm looking forward to that movie they'll be doing.
- Fantascope Tylostoma -
- Hotarubi no Mori e - A lovely short ova about a girl falling in love with a spirit. It's a little sad but oh so lovely at the same time.
- Gyo - GASHUNK! It was a great ova of a great anime. I know a lot of people were disappointed with it but I honestly can't figure out why. It did everything perfectly!
- Nakedyouth - I've actually watched this a few years ago but it floated up on my radar again and made me remember just how lovely a one off 10 minute work can be. Almost anything that explores youth and sexuality is always a treat to watch.
I've actually not watched a lot that finished airing during the winter season. I plan on watching them all but with it looking quite meh according to my tastes I decided I would skip watching it while it currently aired and wait till they were finished. I did watch a few I knew I would enjoy or that just happened to be Season continuations of shows I have already seen all of. I tried watching Another and Mouretsu Pirates while they aired/airing but sadly Mouretsu Pirates just didn't do it for me in the 3 episodes I sat though and just made me angry. Another is a horror anime so those are generally best marathoned instead of watching one episode a week. I do plan on watching both still along with everything but these are my priority anime from winter that have finished: Another, Black Rock Shooter, Nisemonogatari, Senki Zesshou Symphogear, and Rinne no Lagrange. If there's one you think I'm missing that I should get to asap leave a comment and I'll consider.
- Brave10 - I love these kind of anime. You know the ones with pretty boys and girls whooping each others asses... Yeah those... <3
- Daily Lives of High School Boys - HILARIOUS~
- Thermae Romae - HILARIOUS~
- Zero no Tsukaima 4 - I'm sure an ova will pop up for this at some point. But it's good to have it finished for fans.
- Recorder to Randoseru - a short episode series about a small girl who is in high school and her large brother that is in grade school. I've oddly enjoyed this series and an oddly glad that it is continuing into the spring season.
- Gokujo - another short episode series. This one is about girls being dirty and gross. Very pervy too. It's charming in it's own strange way.
- NatsumeYuujinchou Shi - Season 5 where?! <3
- Tantei Opera Milky Holmes 2 - meh
- Poyopoyo Kansatsu Nikki - still airing!!! ROUND CAT IS ROUND~
So far I've only watched one SPRING 2012 anime. That being Space Brothers of course. It was the #1 anime I was looking forward to and it certainly didn't disappoint me which was delightful. I might try blogging it but well we all know how terrible I am with keeping up to date with those. 😛
There were a lot of anime that aired this spring! The only ones I didn't watch were the long running continuations of shounen aimed at a younger audience: Inazuma Eleven GO, Beyblade: Metal Fury, Yu-Gi-Oh Zexal, Digimon Xros Wars 2, and Danball Senki. I haven't seen any of these series except for Digimon but even then I only made it through the first 2 seasons before the 2010 reboot of the franchise. There was one shoujo title in there that I would actually like to watch someday called Jewelpet Sunshine. But first I want to watch the other 2 seasons of it...
With so many shows airing during the spring it should be no surprise that my favourite anime of the year started airing. Yes, Gintama 2 is my #1 for the year 2011. It's great to see all the characters back and getting into wacky situations! That space arc was AMAZING!
If Hyouge Mono actually had timely subs it might be in this spot but I can't put it there comfortably since I've only been able to watch 10 episodes from a 39 episode series. Hyouge Mono is certainly awesome though and more people should watch it!
Best Show of spring aside from Gintama because that's #1 of the year would be Toriko. He's a manly man out to find the most delicious food. It doesn't matter if he has to kill it himself! Just look at those arms! I plan to re-start blogging this series in the new year so look out for those! GUTS GUTS GUTS!
Worst Show of spring is Hoshizora e Kakaru Hashi... Harem... I don't need to say more. I hate most harem cookie cutter shows. Especially ones that come from eroge games...
Here's my big list of Best to Worst shows of spring 2011:
- Gintama 2 (still airing) 10/10
- Toriko (still airing) 10/10
- Hyouge Mono (stalled) 9/10
- Steins;Gate 9/10
- Ao no Exorcist 9/10
- X-Men 9/10
- Kaiji 2 8/10
- Honto ni Atta! Reibai-Sensei 8/10
- Astarotte's Toy 8/10
- Hen Zemi 8/10
- Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae o Boku-tachi wa Mada Shiranai 8/10
- Yondemasuyo Azazel-san 8/10
- Shouwa Monogatari (stalled) 8/10
- Tono to Issho 2 8/10
- Tiger & Bunny 7/10
- Battle Girls: Time Paradox 7/10
- Dororon Enma-kun Meeramera 7/10
- C: The Money of Soul and Possibility Control 7/10
- Pretty Rhythm Aurora Dream (still airing) 7/10
- Deadman Wonderland 7/10
- Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko 7/10
- Sket Dance (still airing) 7/10
- Happy Kappy 7/10
- Seikon no Qwaser 2 7/10
- The World God Only Knows 2 6/10
- Dog Days 6/10
- Suzy's Zoo (stalled) 6/10
- Fireball 2 6/10
- 30-sai no Hoken Taiiku 6/10
- Sekai-ichi Hatsukoi 6/10
- Nichijou 5/10
- Hana-Saku Iroha 5/10
- Oretachi ni Tsubasa wa Nai 5/10
- Maria Holic 2 4/10
- A Channel 4/10
- Softenni 4/10
- Aria the Scarlet Ammo 2/10
- Moshidora 2/10
- Hoshizora e Kakaru Hashi 1/10
Surprise enjoyment: Steins;Gate took me by storm. I didn't plan on watching it at first but a friend convinced me to start it. It was like a super win with this series because I really thought it wasn't going to be good, like at all. Astarotte's Toy was pretty much written off by everyone. I too doubted it at first. After all when you see "Semen and 10 years old" in a first synopsis of the series it's hard not to be judgmental.
Surprise fail: Deadman Wonderland while it still gets a passing mark from me, it really needed more for it to be truly awesome.
Honorable mentions: Ao no Exorcist is awesome and no one can tell me otherwise. I hope we get more someday and I can't wait for that movie. Tiger & Bunny should have been a show I fell in love with right from the start. Somehow that didn't happen at first. It took a while for all the characters to grow on me too long for me to truly enjoy the show. Pretty Rhythm Aurora Dream is SO girly but I can't stop watching it. I love ice skating and wanted to be one when I was a kid. I should probably write a diary post about it or something~
On the Ninth Day of Christmas My True Love Gave to Me,
Nine Delicious Openings & Endings,
Eight Digiboy Top Anime,
Seven Franchise Continuations,
Six Top Tier Anime,
Five Nyanpire Kitties,
Four Marvel Anime,
Two Anime Buddy Challenges,
and an Underrated Anime
This year we didn't only get a whole lot of awesome anime, we got a lot of great music to go along with them. In my eyes anyway. Here's just some of the many OP and ED's I really enjoyed throughout the year. They aren't really in any order.
Steins;Gate - I can confidently say this is my absolute favourite OP of this year. It send shivers through my entire body every time I listen to it.
Ao no Exorcist op 2
Kimi to Boku
Dantalian no Shoka
One Piece OP 14
Shout outs to a few others: No. 6, Yuru Yuri, Mawaru Penguin Drum OP 1, Gundam Age, Tiger & Bunny, and everyones favourite Guilty Crown.
Ao no Exorcist ED 2
Honto ni Atta! Reibai-Sensei ED 1
Suite Pretty Cure
Tiger & Bunny ED 2
Kaiji Season 2
Shout outs to a few others: Ao no Exorcist ED 1, Gundam Age, and the oh so awesome Hyouge Mono.
On the Sixth Day of Christmas My True Love Gave to Me,
Six Top Tier Anime,
Five Nyanpire Kitties,
Four Marvel Anime,
Two Anime Buddy Challenges,
and an Underrated Anime
Love them all, hate them all, or like a few but meh the others. (I heart the first 3 and appreciate the last 3) Whatever your choice is these are the top shows that people chattered away about all year long while they were airing and STILL talk about well after they have finished.
I already shared my love of this movie here. Everyone should watch it even if they aren't into racing.
I hate kids but when circumstances are out of the box from a normal 2 parent loving family I have some interest. I didn't expect to "dawww" as much as I did when watching this show but well, when a show can make you think back to those good times as a child it's doing something right.
Way better than I expected it to be considering it's not so good "sister" series Chaos;Head. Tu~tu~ruuu~
Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica
／人◕ ‿‿ ◕人＼
Mawaru Penguin Drum
Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae o Boku-tachi wa Mada Shiranai