Yet another winter came and went. 24 shows to choose from this time! I always like to watch everything in a year so all was watched yet again unless special circumstances apply! Doing these posts is always super fun with more anime to talk about anyway! Onward with winter aired anime!
Winter this time around gave me a whole lot of anime that I enjoyed. I didn't watch a lot of them till after they were finished airing since I needed an anime break after the holidays. I'll likely do the same this year honestly. I like how it ends up working out for me. Doing things this way puts me even further away from people in the aniblogsphere and on twitter but ehhh I'm finding it harder and harder over the years to want to dive right back into new anime at the start of a new year.
Smile Pretty Cure started but I'm sad to say it didn't live up to my expectations so I'm not too happy about that. At least watching my backlog of Yes, Pretty Cure fills the bill in awesome. The New Prince of Tennis and Danball Senki W weren't watched because I haven't seen any of the rest of their franchises. Someday I hope to get around to PoT but I'm in no hurry to watch a billion episodes of tennis. Amagami SS+I saved myself the trouble with and didn't watch it. I wasn't a fan of the first season and that was way longer than this one. Enough is enough of that for me!
Thermae Romae I have a hard time classifying as a TV show rather than a TV special since it was only 3 episodes. I'd put it at #3 if I did include it though. Man that show was so manly and hot.
Best Show of winter is Natsume Yuujinchou Shi because obviously Poyopoyo Kansatsu Nikki is the show of the year! 2 anime that have awesome cats in it at the top of my list? Can I get anymore predictable?!
Worst Show of winter is Kill Me Baby. I don't understand how anyone could have liked this show... From a terrible OP and ED to ugly characters to ANNOYING AS FUCK characters... Yeah it clearly wasn't made for someone like me.
Here's my big list of Best to Worst shows of winter 2012:
- Poyopoyo Kansatsu Nikki (still airing) 10/10
- Natsume Yuujinchou Shi 10/10
- Ano Natsu de Matteru / Waiting in the Summer 9/10
- Daily Lives of High School Boys / Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou 8/10
- Aquarion Evol 8/10
- Brave10 8/10
- Inu x Boku SS 8/10
- Senki Zesshou Symphogear 7/10
- Rinne no Lagrange 7/10
- Gokujo. Gokurakuin Joshikou Ryou Monogatari 7/10
- Recorder to Randoseru 7/10
- Nisemonogatari 6/10
- Black Rock Shooter 6/10
- Mouretsu Pirates 5/10
- Another 5/10
- Tantei Opera Milky Holmes 2 4/10
- Zero no Tsukaima Final 4/10
- Papa no Iu Koto o Kikinasai! / Listen to Me Girls, I'm Your Father! 3/10
- High School DxD 3/10
- Area no Kishi / The Knight in the Area 3/10
- Kill Me Baby 2/10
Surprise enjoyment: Inu x Boku SS honestly wasn't on my radar. Even better that the bf completely loved it too! Ano Natsu de Matteru romance, drama, drama, and aliens... Yup it found it's way into my heart!
Honestly this year has been pretty slow anime wise for me. I got a PS3 for Christmas and lets just say I've been very happy with said purchase. Final Fantasy XIII and XIII-2 have been my obsessions along with Dynasty Warriors Gundam I and II. I need to get III still but II has been keeping me quite busy even though I don't like it as much as I. How I don't have Dynasty Warriors 7 yet is a little mind baffling but all I can say is SOON.
Anyway enough about video games as that could easily fill a whole post and well I might just do that at a later date. I've honestly barely watched any anime this year series wise. I'm always in the mood for a one off ova or movie though so that's what this post is mostly about. I did finally watch Souten Kouro this year since subs were finally completed for it. It totally filled my RotK need for a while. Having the story revolve around Cao Cao was rather awesome and really makes me look forward to the last RotK title I have yet to watch, Koutetsu Sangokushi. I can only hope that one day the 2010 remake RotK series will be completely subbed. There's only so much enjoyment I can get from watching it raw after all.
The only other series I've completed so far that hasn't been currently airing was Galaxy Angel X and A. I watched Galaxy Angel and Z for my not so secret santa project so I figured I should complete the series. I still have to watch Galaxy Angel Rune though but I'll get around to it eventually. Rune apparently does things differently since X and A were pretty much the same as the first 2 series. I'm looking forward to Rune simply because it'll be a different take on the Galaxy Angel stuff which will be refreshing. It's a good series overall but nothing amazing either.
The fact that 3 big shounen series I watch and a lot of others as well, ended recently was a little strange. Beelzebub and Bleach sure I can live without airing anymore. I liked both shows alright but I won't miss watching them every week either. Gintama though... We just got it back and they take it away from us again! I'll look forward to when it comes back because I have faith that it certainly will. I'll at least look forward to more movies~
I've started watching Toriko again because my boyfriend was driving me nuts asking when we were going to watch more. Since I planned on blogging this (and I still do I swear) I didn't want to watch any of the episodes because then the chances of me blogging earlier episodes really start to disappear if I watch ahead of where I left off blogging. I gotta say I completely love this series. It shows a great love for food which I certainly share and I bet most people can relate to as well. I love food eating reactions! Toriko does this very well honestly and makes me remember just how awesome Yakitate!! Japan was when it came to food reactions too. I'm not 100% caught up with the series yet but I'm currently on episode 33 and plan to be caught up fully in the next few days.
- Sora no Otoshimono - This was a great recap movie. Everything about it made me smile and laugh. I can't wait for Season 3 to air.
- Suite Precure - Suite is my favourite Pretty Cure title to date so it should be no surprise that the Suite Movie has become my favourite Pretty Cure movie. But then again all the Pretty Cure movies are pretty great in their own ways.
- Fullmetal Alchemist: The Sacred Star of Milos - I don't know why people were expecting super duper amazing plot and such with this movie. After all it was just a one off random story. I went in expecting awesome shounen action and that is exactly what I received and enjoyed a great deal.
- Recollections of a Certain Pilot - This movie doesn't really do anything new or amazing but I'm a sucker for planes in anime~
- Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kira - I don't even know why I watch these Higurashi ova's anymore... Guess I just love the series that much.
- Steins;Gate - This ova was so darn cute by the end because the very end is what made it so awesome. I'm looking forward to that movie they'll be doing.
- Fantascope Tylostoma -
- Hotarubi no Mori e - A lovely short ova about a girl falling in love with a spirit. It's a little sad but oh so lovely at the same time.
- Gyo - GASHUNK! It was a great ova of a great anime. I know a lot of people were disappointed with it but I honestly can't figure out why. It did everything perfectly!
- Nakedyouth - I've actually watched this a few years ago but it floated up on my radar again and made me remember just how lovely a one off 10 minute work can be. Almost anything that explores youth and sexuality is always a treat to watch.
I've actually not watched a lot that finished airing during the winter season. I plan on watching them all but with it looking quite meh according to my tastes I decided I would skip watching it while it currently aired and wait till they were finished. I did watch a few I knew I would enjoy or that just happened to be Season continuations of shows I have already seen all of. I tried watching Another and Mouretsu Pirates while they aired/airing but sadly Mouretsu Pirates just didn't do it for me in the 3 episodes I sat though and just made me angry. Another is a horror anime so those are generally best marathoned instead of watching one episode a week. I do plan on watching both still along with everything but these are my priority anime from winter that have finished: Another, Black Rock Shooter, Nisemonogatari, Senki Zesshou Symphogear, and Rinne no Lagrange. If there's one you think I'm missing that I should get to asap leave a comment and I'll consider.
- Brave10 - I love these kind of anime. You know the ones with pretty boys and girls whooping each others asses... Yeah those... <3
- Daily Lives of High School Boys - HILARIOUS~
- Thermae Romae - HILARIOUS~
- Zero no Tsukaima 4 - I'm sure an ova will pop up for this at some point. But it's good to have it finished for fans.
- Recorder to Randoseru - a short episode series about a small girl who is in high school and her large brother that is in grade school. I've oddly enjoyed this series and an oddly glad that it is continuing into the spring season.
- Gokujo - another short episode series. This one is about girls being dirty and gross. Very pervy too. It's charming in it's own strange way.
- NatsumeYuujinchou Shi - Season 5 where?! <3
- Tantei Opera Milky Holmes 2 - meh
- Poyopoyo Kansatsu Nikki - still airing!!! ROUND CAT IS ROUND~
So far I've only watched one SPRING 2012 anime. That being Space Brothers of course. It was the #1 anime I was looking forward to and it certainly didn't disappoint me which was delightful. I might try blogging it but well we all know how terrible I am with keeping up to date with those. 😛
On the Second Day of Christmas My True Love Gave to Me,
Two Anime Buddy Challenges,
and an Underrated Anime
So to keep me having fun with my anime I decided to pick 2 anime friends of mine and watch everything they have watched that I haven't, or at least try to before the year 2011 ends. So I took to their Anime-Planet lists and added all I haven't seen to my want to watch list in January and plugged away at it all year long. Only 2 shows overlapped (Ergo Proxy & Le Chevalier D'Eon) and hilariously enough one of those I couldn't get around to in time for this post. Ergo Proxy... Maybe I'll finish it after Christmas... I also plan on watching all of GITS after the holidays as well because that is another I didn't get around to completing. Cobra wasn't completed either but I think I'll save that for January. Anyway here's what I watched from both of their lists.
- Green = loved
- Red = hated
- Blue = no love or hate feelings
- Black = still need to watch
- Ergo Proxy - one episode watched
- Great Teacher Onizuka - teachers like him are awesome. 8/10
- Human Crossing - episodic snooze fest. 5/10
- Le Chevalier D'Eon - really great watch but has some serious pacing issues. 8/10
- Master Keaton - really enjoyed this show. 9/10
- Maze - I have no words for how bad this was including the ova. 5/10
- Narue no Sekai - bleh kids. 4/10
- Ninja Nonsense - random to the max. 8/10
- Petite Princess - could have been super great if they did things just a little differently. 6/10
- Piano - bleh musical snooze fest. 3/10
- Zero no Tsukaima - bleh dunno why I watched it ALL. 4/10
- Ace wo Nerae Movie - good sum up movie but felt rushed. Looking forward to watching the series. 7/10
- The Big O - great fun batman! 8/10
- Cobra - saving for January! Birthday goodness!
- Cromartie High School - boys being boys in a hilarious way. 10/10
- Darker Than Black - <3 Hei S1 8/10 Hei made S2 watchable 7/10
- Descendants of Darkness - ok but forgettable. 6/10
- Ergo Proxy - one episode watched.
- GaoGaiGar - good robo fun! 7/10
- Genshiken - hilarious! 10/10
- GITS - to be watched after Christmas.
- Golgo 13 - sexy. 8/10
- Haré+Guu - ended up being my favourite comedy ever. 10/10
- Hataraki Man - ladies work good! 8/10
- Irresponsible Captain Tylor - fun show that reminded me even more for my love of space shows. 8/10
- Le Chevalier D'Eon - really great watch but has some serious pacing issues. 8/10
- Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro - watched it with the bf which was a good move on my part. 7/10
- Shuffle - -.- at least he choose a chick. 2/10 "S2" 1/10
- Toshokan Sensou - was alright needed to be a bit more focused. 7/10
Looking at the lists it's quite clear that my anime taste and Shinmaru's are pretty much the same. Even in ratings it was pretty much the same with only a few being rated a point different between the 2 of us. With predederva when the show was great it was GREAT! When it was shit... well yeah... too much shit for chii.
Weather the anime was fun to watch or not I still had great joy in stalking their lists! Maybe *YOU* will be next!