Like every year Spring gave us more anime we knew what to do with! Unlike winter I actually watched everything as it aired. Save for those kiddy shows that I'm not following being Bakugan, Inazuma Eleven, Jewelpet, and Metal Fight Beyblade. Saint Seiya had another season but since I haven't seen any of that franchise to begin with that wasn't watched either. A season 2 of Pretty Rhythm aired but since season 1 isn't even finished being subbed that wasn't watched. When subs appear I'll watch it for sure since I'm enjoying season 1 of it alright.
Some short anime called Koi-ken aired but I haven't even seen raws for this appear. I'm ok with that since it apparently is based on a popular dating sim which I'm so not all about. Space Battleship Yamato 2199 looks interesting but I'd prefer to watch the first stuff for that before jumping into something new. Ozma I didn't watch because I want to do some fun stuff with the Leijiverse stuff eventually.
There was actually very few shows that I didn't enjoy watching this time around. The amount of great shows to choose from was just that good! Even the shitty shows had a few good things to offer so I can't complain about them too much either. I still wish more people would watch Gon...
Best Show of spring is SO hard to choose but I'm going to go with Space Brothers for sure. Honestly if it wasn't for that cat anime I'm blogging it surely would have been #1 of 2012! SPACE!!! Polar Bear Cafe is a super close second for spring too.
Worst Show of spring is Natsuiro Kiseki because while it had an interesting enough idea, cute girls doing stuff just doesn't do it for me in a drama setting.
Here's my big list of Best to Worst shows of spring 2012:
- Space Brothers / Uchuu Kyoudai (still airing) 10/10
- Polar Bear Cafe / Shirokuma Cafe (still airing) 10/10
- Mysterious Girlfriend X / Nazo no Kanojo X 10/10
- Fate/Zero 2 10/10
- Gon (still airing) 10/10
- Jormungand 9/10
- Tsuritama 8/10
- Kimi to Boku 2 8/10
- Sakamichi no Apollon / Kids on the Slope 8/10
- Folktales from Japan (still airing) 8/10
- Ginga e Kickoff!! (still airing) 8/10
- Sengoku Collection 8/10
- Zetman 8/10
- Phi Brain: Kami no Puzzle 2 7/10
- Acchi Kocchi 7/10
- Queen's Blade: Rebellion 7/10
- Accel World 7/10
- Eureka Seven Ao 7/10
- Gakkatsu! 7/10
- Kuroko's Basketball 7/10
- Kore wa Zombie desu ka? 7/10
- Haiyore! Nyaruko-san 7/10
- Arashi no Yoru ni 7/10
- Recorder to Randoseru 2 7/10
- Sankarea 6/10
- Lupin III ~Mine Fujiko to Iu Onna~ 6/10
- Saki 2 6/10
- Dusk Maiden of Amnesia / Tasogare Otome x Amnesia 6/10
- Hiiro no Kakera 6/10
- AKB0048 5/10
- Medaka Box 5/10
- Cardfight!! Vanguard 2 5/10
- Shining Hearts: Shiawase no Pan 5/10
- Upotte!! 5/10
- Kuromajo-san ga Tooru!! 5/10
- Yurumates 3D 4/10
- Hyou-ka: You Can't Escape 3/10
- Rock Lee no Seishun Full-Power Ninden (still airing) 3/10
- Shiba Inuko-san 3/10
- Natsuiro Kiseki 2/10
Surprise enjoyment: Ginga e Kickoff!! is a children's soccer show that should be watched by everyone! Mysterious Girlfriend X is a romance anime that I had no hopes for going in but ended up being one of the best romantic anime I've ever seen. Acchi Kocchi had great winter episodes which surprised me.
Surprise fail: Medaka Box ended up being quite lacking... I'll have more to say about it in the fall review.
Honorable mentions: Arashi no Yoru ni I'd like to see more of honestly. Lupin III ~Mine Fujiko to Iu Onna BOOBS! AKB0048 is fun but still lacking in awesomeness for me but at least there's a lot of SPACE! Shining Hearts has one of the most hilarious ED's ever! Eureka Seven Ao is finished finished now right?
On the Sixth Day of Christmas My True Love Gave to Me,
Six Underrated Shows,
(Twenty)Five Years of Final Fantasy,
Four Video Game Feels,
Three Idol Shows,
Two Amazing Cartoons,
and The Best Boots in All of Anime
chii thinks you should be watching these shows!
Ginga e Kickoff
Best kids show you'll ever watch about a boring game called SOCCER!
Who doesn't fucking love DINOSAURS?
Folktales from Japan
Random awesome kick ass stories. You're missing out if you ain't watchin this.
Adorable little dolls that serve their master and fight like model Gundams!
Chinese history has never been this good! (I lie Romance of the Three Kingdoms still beats this but it's a great alternative)
Phi Brain: Kami no Puzzle
It's about motherfucking puzzle solving!
The time has come yet again for an anime milestone according to my Anime-Planet profile. Soon I will be reaching 3000 total watched. And by soon I mean as soon as I get off my ass and marathon the last LotgH ova I have to watch being, Legend of the Galactic Heroes: A Hundred Billion Stars, A Hundred Billion Lights. I WILL SIT DOWN AND MARATHON THIS BEFORE THE WEEKEND! I can't wait to finally have watched everything from my favourite anime of all time! I made Legend of the Galactic Heroes: Spiral Labyrinth my 2000th anime a year and a bit ago... Thinking that I've watched 1000 anime since then is mind boggling but when anime sites insist on listing shorts, music videos, picture dramas, and other silly stuff that probably shouldn't have a single entry there's not much I can do! I guess I could not mark them as watched but well if the option is there take it!
Looking at the VERY incomplete list I made of all these things I feel don't need their own entries it's clear that a lot of stuff gets added for the sake of "completion". There are other reasons why these kind of things started to get added to AP but I won't get into that right now... All I gotta say it it's kinda stupid and it makes it look like I've watched a whole lot more than I really have. But to be fair I suppose a lot of the "shorts" I have on my list are worthy of being there. Either way it's still like I've completed 2000 anime with a whole lot of extras! Someday I'll make more lists to see just what the exact number would be if I don't include stuff I don't think should bother counting. Not that anyone but me cares about such a thing.
All in all maybe I'm just trying to justify all the time I've spent watching anime to not make myself feel as strange about reaching such a number... YAY? Onto some other fun stuff now~
- Fresh Pretty Cure - Confirmed that is my second least favourite Pretty Cure. Nothing can honestly top the hatred I have for Splash... I still have to watch Yes but from what I've seen of it so far it can't top the dislike I have for Fresh!
- Yoiko - This is basically porn for people who like little girls but wish they had a mature body so it doesn't "look" bad. It's basically like Recorder to Randoseru but WAY more perverted since you get to see "little" girl boobs EVERY EPISODE!
- Space Adventure Cobra - Why can't we have shows like this anymore? I still have to watch the 2010 version but I'm positive it won't disappoint me. Cobra has become one of my favourite anime ever because it has so much I completely love. Especially since the SPACE isn't a lie from the title! Cobra himself is one awesome dude that has tonnes of sexy bitches surrounding him! So awesome!
- Mainichi Kaasan - I'm still not finished this show. It's got 142 episodes and I'm only halfway through still. But I gotta say its found its way into my heart. There's absolutely nothing special about it. It's about a mom who writes manga and has 2 kids. We go through their daily life and that's it! Some episodes can be boring but in each episode there's short stories so it doesn't take long for something new to come along if one of the segments is lame. My favourite thing about the show are these spirits that visit the mom giving her "tips" on parenting. They have an awesome song that gets stuck in my head for hours when they appear too! XD
MOVIES & OVA's
- Lupin III - Specials 16-23 (minus the Detective Conan crossover since I already watched that one a while ago) were watched. So happy I've now seen them all. I made a list of them all favourite to least. I didn't hate sitting through any of them though which is a very good thing. The newest one being, Special 23: Blood Seal - The Eternal Mermaid, ended up being my favourite. It just has so much awesomeness that makes Lupin Lupin to me, I enjoyed it throughly.
- Mardock Scramble - Finally got around to this first movie. It's interesting I'll give it that much. It really reminds me of an updated version of Kite but with the futuristic setting from Ghost in the Shell.
- A shit load of Shorts - I'm a huge fan of shorts like I said above. I watched a lot of them over the last little while but I'm sad to say that none really stood out except for THIS!
Still going strong watching everything at this point. I'm ready for a few of the series to be over and done with but here's a small highlight on what I'm really enjoying right now that you don't already know about.
- Mysterious Girlfriend X - This started off with a 8/10 score. It since has jumped to a perfect 10. I've enjoyed every single episode so much and it's quickly turning into one of my favourite romantic comedies!
- Ginga e Kickoff - I don't understand how this kiddy show is SO FREAKING GOOD. It has no right to be but here we are. It's honestly way better than the other soccer anime airing along side it. More people need to watch this awesome show.
- Fairy Tail - I've finally caught up with like 20 episodes or whatever I had stalk piled. I won't spew a bunch of stuff about it here but I gotta say that I love time skips!
- Kingdom - This show I didn't expect anyone to pick it up to sub. These kind of Chinese stories tend to get no love but to my surprise 2 groups (as far as I know) have picked it up. I was so happy when I discovered this. The first episode was a long one at 50 minutes and it ended on a great cliffhanger that has me BEGGING for more. I'm going to look forward to this show each and every week, or whenever episodes happen to get subbed of it! My only issue with it is that some weird CG kicks in now and then and takes the flow away from what's going on but I'll forgive it for that!
After an insane spring of watching every anime airing I've decided to do what I did with winter and not watch everything while it airs this summer and marathon them after they are finished. I'm just going to watch S2's of shows and I have made an exception for 2 new shows. The other noitaminA show Natsuyuki Rendezvous (lol spooky flowers) and the oh so awesome Oda Nobuna no Yabou (lol more Oda Nobunaga silliness I can't resist!)
List of season 2's+: Hakuouki (WHY... But... Bishies...) Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere (I'm probably the only one SUPER pumped for the conclusion) Dog Days (I'm not sure why there's a S2 of this but S1 was fun enough. Dog girls is a nice change from cat girls!) Moyashimon (We'll brew YOU!) Rinne no Lagrange (I still have to watch S1 from winter! But I'll be doing that in time for S2 to start airing for sure) Yuru Yuri (Yay girls~)
Every thought on these anime are from one episode watched. These are all very short thoughts put together so it might be pretty jumbled but it's my thoughts as I watched each show.
Tsuritama - The interesting art style has me hooked. I related a lot with the beginning and the boy drowning in the classroom. Oh anxiety! All the ocean/water aspects are quite interesting to me and always make me look deeper into the anime. The setting really reminds me of Newfoundland for some reason. Oh yeah it must be all that fishing and all. The fishing also makes me think of my father a lot since he's huge into fishing. I've fallen in love with the fighting fish. <3
Sakamichi no Apollon AKA Kids on the Slope - I'm not a fan of jazz but this works somehow, oh right... Yoko Kanno! XD I had a bf that would use anything as drum sticks too and generally my butt would be the drums. This still happens with my current bf as well. I must have a thing for drummers deep down! The chick in this show always seems to be blushing. I hope it was just a one episode thing but we'll see. I enjoyed the "Richie" boy and his thoughts about school. How he hates going and gets a weird sick feeling about it constantly. Brings back memories of my school life. Oh anxiety!
Jormungand - The leader chick with the white hair REALLY looks like a tranny to me. I really enjoy the background music. This show is totally the next Black Lagoon. Hopefully my first episode impression of it will make me look forward to the already announced S2.
Dusk Maiden of Amnesia AKA Tasogare Otome x Amnesia - So far this is Baka Test to me with supernatural elements. Could go either way.
Acchi Kocchi - I like how it looks at least...
Ginga e Kickoff - Meh kiddy soccer.
Hiiro no Kakera - Meh bishies.
Mysterious Girlfriend X AKA Nazo no Kanojo X - The hair over her eyes is going to get annoying but I'll push through that. Her sparkle drool is pretty darn amazing! "My drool is nothing special." <- I'm sure she tells all the boys this! This show will be good because the relationship is right there in the first episode and there's no dicking around. I'll be looking forward to more of this show and there will be a diary post upcoming from me at some point for it too.
Shining Hearts: Shiawase no Pan - BREAD HAREM! Best ED ever btw! LOL